cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6

I think you guys should contact Microsoft not us as this is no longer a user level issue. This is an issue between companies agreeing to integrate with each other.

THHigh
Explorer | Level 4

Hey,

I open a thread like a bit more then 4 weeks ago, and try to explain that I think there the same, and got nearly the same answer. I think they are doing there best to fix the issue with Microsoft (MS), otherwise it can be just a question of time until the costumers (how pays for a service) will find other solutions or leave.

At a economical perspective it will be helpful for Dropbox and MS to find a solution otherwise this small issue can be on a long period an impact for the relation to the costumers, so it is just a matter of time.  Let us hope it will be just a matter of time that it will be solved between both companies.

I wish everybody a nice evening.
Best
TH

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
I just don't like reps here from Dropbox asking us to contact Microsoft as this is no longer just a little issue. This is happening to millions of your users and this is really important. My friends and colleagues are now migrating to one drive or Google drive as they're not having any issues saving there.

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
I don't think you do understand the problem at all. 🤦 Or at least the issue that we're really having coz you're asking us to contact Microsoft. It's an integration problem with you guys. So you should contact them not us as they won't entertain us with this issue at all. Why is it only Dropbox that we're having issues with and not with other cloud storage in the first place? You should escalate it to the higher level who could reach out to MS.

Good1s
New member | Level 2
I have been having the same problem for about 1 to 2 weeks. On Android 13.

Kloc45
Explorer | Level 4
I have the same problem. I used to be able to save Excel files directly to Dropbox but now get message that file is Read Only. I try and save with a different name and still have the same problem. I can save same file to Google Drive and One Drive.

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

I have a smartphone and a tablet with the dropbox android app. In addition, a laptop with Windows and dropbox. I use microsoft 365 to create and edit files. I am the only person editing the files. I have been able to do this for a long time without any problems. When I had changed a text and closed the app, I could continue with the changed text on another device. Now I'm getting warnings that the file is a read only file and I need to save a copy first. No matter what I try, this doesn't work. How do I set up the three apps so that I can automatically continue with the changed text on another device?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @Willem3, how are you today?

Can you clarify your device's OS version and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well?

Also, how are you editing the file in the first place? 

Does that happen with all of your files, or a specific file type? Can you also send me a few screenshots of the steps you follow, and the error you receive on your end, in order for me to have a clear visual?

Keep us posted, and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your response. I think I have solved the problem in the
meantime. There were two causes. First, I had installed only Word from
Microsoft 365. It seems that you have to install the whole office pack. The
second problem seems to be a speed problem and shutdown problem. When I
move too fast from one device to another or when I have not closed a
device properly I get the warning that a file is a read only file. The
only way to solve this problem is to copy the written text, delete the file
completely and create a new file with the same name. 

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

I was too fast. The problem is not resolved. I get the same warning again that the file is a only read file because there is somebody else working on the file and that I can make a copy or neglect the problem. Like I mentioned before this doesn't resolve the problem.

When I open the dropbox app I get the warning that there is a file which asks for my attention. When I open it I can see that the file is at: link removed. Maybe the problem started when I updated the dropbox app at Google play where I can can only download the app 'Dropbox: Documenten in Drive'.

Need more support?