cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to open Excel files on Android Dropbox mobile app - Office login loop

Unable to open Excel files on Android Dropbox mobile app - Office login loop

Barnsey
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have a free dropbox account and have used it for years to store a few basic excel spreadsheets that I use daily. I have a paid Microsoft 365 account that I use on my android phone and lenovo laptop. For some reason the last few days, I am unable to open my dropbox excel spreadsheets on my phone. When I try to open the spreadsheet I get a log in page saying "Log in or sign up to Dropbox to link with Microsoft Office Integration". I log in using my dropbox user and pw and it just sends me to my onedrive. I have tried deleting the dropbox and 365 apps on my phone and re installing and logging in. I have tried to open the dropbox files by going into excel first and then trying to open the dropbox spreadsheet. Just always sends me to the log in page.
It all works fine on my laptop, and after saving, my dropbox android app shows the newly updated spreadsheet. Dont know what has happened. Please help.

26 Replies 26

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @Barnsey.

Are you having this issue only with Excel files or other Office files as well?

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see when you try to open an Excel file from the Dropbox mobile app?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JensN79
New member | Level 2
I see same issue. I use this daily and 2-3 days ago excel app won't connect to dropbox longer. Word app an PowerPoint app still works. Every time I try to open a excel file located in Dropbox the app wants me to login to Dropbox but it never works. The Dropbox folder is also no longer a file location in the app when pressing open. When manually trying to add Dropbox as location same issue occurs. In Word app Dropbox can be found as a file location when pressing open. So the issue is clearly in Excel app.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@JensN79, can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your end? I’d also like to know the OS version of the device you’re having trouble with.

Have you cleared the cache of the Dropbox and Excel apps and reinstalled them, and the same issue occurs? When it comes to the Dropbox app, first make sure that you’re not on a free Basic account with more than 3 devices linked. If you are, please skip this step.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

basvanherel
New member | Level 2

Samen problem here, when working on an Android device and willing to open a Excel file from Dropbox its stuck in a login-loop. 
When we open Excel first and browse in Dropbox, the problem does not occur. 

Word works fine.

Please help

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@basvanherel, can you clarify the OS version of Android you’re using, as well as the Dropbox app version? 

Have you cleared the cache of both the Dropbox and Excel app, and reinstalled them?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

kdig
New member | Level 2

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. Have cleared cache etc. On v13 of Android.

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @kdig, if you're still experiencing this issue, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Howard L.6
New member | Level 2
Same issue with Excel. Android 14. Happens even when Dropbox app is already open. Had to re-sign in even to respond to this post. Also, workbooks only open as read-only - have to save a copy every time I want to edit file. Descriptions posted here all seem to articulate the issue adequately without additional screenshot, etc. Please fix.

CPR31
Explorer | Level 3
Same here. Word is fine, only Excel has the problem.
Need more support?