cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confusing instructions for Google file migration

Google Drive Docs Sheets Migration Would move Much More Such As *.csv *.txt *.odt *.log files.

Robert T.26
Explorer | Level 4
According to Dropbox, "How to find Google files in your Dropbox account" directions (copied below), all our plainTextFiles.txt, LogFiles.log files, OpenOffice.ods LibreOffice files, CommaSeparatedValues.csv files,  ankiFlashCards.apkg files, critical Firefox files,  and many other files will be automatically moved to google drive that I would never want in Google Drive.   Many of them will never work in using Google Drive, such as our .key files to open our password databases because DropBox devs think keepass.key files are Google Slides.  Now, we are talking a MAJOR SECURITY CONCERN in terms of password database confidentiality and Availability.      Not only is gDrive much more expensive, but I pay for dropbox for a reason.  Their directions  are below, but it is basically find your files that will be moved to google drive by searching for .gdoc or .gsheet or .gslides.  

Does not seem like this integration has been thought thru especially in the following scenarios:
  1. The millions of people that use a key file to open their password databases.
  2. The millions that use LibreOffice or OpenOffice particularly because you do not want to use a slow web browser to open your docs and you do not want to use o365. 
  3. Have a python project in DropBox for importing CommaSeparatedValues.csv files?  BROKEN.
  4. Depend on old versions of Firefox to manage NetGear switches and iot stuff?  Firefox would be destroyed!  These Firefox profiles contain LocalStore.rdf and MimeTypes.rdf and other .rdf files which will be detected as Google Sheets, thereby corrupting your Firefox profile. 
  5. I had to post this rough draft in order to not lose it, so a moderator marked this as SPAM.  NOW, I AM EXTREMELY ANGRY.
  6. I had really wanted to get some things done today, but now am forced to move my files elsewhere.  TrueNAS ZFS SelfHosting would have already saved the time and money.  The plugins are awesome.    I believe I created my account in about 2008, so fifteen years as a customer is ending.  

Dropbox devs, change this to search based on what the file MIME type program returns.  Better yet, create an explicit Google Doc search. 

How to find Google files in your Dropbox account

Use Dropbox search to review your Google files before uploading or converting your documents. To do this:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click the search bar at the top of the page.
  3. Search for each individual file type: .gdoc, .gsheet, and .gslides.
How to move Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides

https://help.dropbox.com/integrations/move-google-docs

22 Replies 22

PabloBe
New member | Level 2

Is it possible that the file migration - which failed by the way because I haven't had any kind of Google Docs on my Dropbox which were shared or linked with my Google Drive - messed the dropbox upload?

I mean literally after I got the report filled with "Conversion succeed but it failed to copy the privileges" I lost the ability to upload larger files.

I can upload smeller JPGs or PNGs (around 3MB) but uploading a 71MB PDF or bigger files like PSDs is impossible. The upload just stucks.

I have a csv file with 10 repeated reports / and the 11th slightly different like it has made 11 attempts of doing something:

DATE: 2023-06-01 17:01:39 (each one the same)

GID cloud document: -

GID file object: Szqc2i9gzB8AAAAAAAA4Jw

Message Type: Warning / Error

Konversion Type: Microsoft Office File

Source Path:

Destination Path: -

Message: Conversion succeed but it failed to copy the privileges / Conversion Failed

Error Type: File System Error / File unsufficient for migration

Detailed Message: Failed To Fetch Permissions / Deleted File

I work with graphic and have a few shared folders of my clients linked to my account - is it possible that their files problems could cause my problem?

Because literally the only solution I see right now is dropping the dropbox and moving to GoogleDrive.
I restarted my WiFi devices to factory settings. Purge browser memory and settings (I use Chrome as a dropbox client). I even asked my LTE provider to reset my simcards for a fresh set-up with the antenas. I tried with Microsoft Edge but that didn't work.
Google Drive or WeTransfer handles the same files without any trouble on the same Chrome browser. I have used 190GB out of 2TB.

Any ideas?

susiehack
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for writing. You’re pretty much lost me here. And since I don’t use Dropbox that much and it’s pretty full anyway, I’m just gonna ignore the migration. I have a pretty active and full Google Drive that I use. And I don’t want to go messing around with both systems. I don’t need that kind of stress of my life

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @susiehackm, you can also request a desktop view of the site while on mobile, or try to attach them back here once you have access to a computer.

Let us know then! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?