cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in opening Google sheets document

Error in opening Google sheets document

sendyjasmine
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm encountering a problem while using Google sheets that's integrated with Dropbox. It used to be fine, but when I tried to open it today, the page refused to load and the message that I got is "File could not open. Try refreshing the page". I already tried to refresh the page several times, but it wouldn't work. I even tried to copy the file and open the copy -- but again, to no avail. This happened to my several other Google sheets documents as well.

What do you think is happening and what should I do now? I'm afraid that it will affect my other Google documents since I'm using the Google-Dropbox integration quite often. 

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 16.17.48.png

46 Replies 46

sendyjasmine
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Already tried it, but still, there's no prompt.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sendyjasmine, @Dina B, in the default apps section, do you get the option to switch to Google Docs/Sheets etc? If so, please switch to those versions and try opening the documents again.

Is the Google account associated with your profile a private account, or is it part of a Google Workspace (or business) account?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

organizerpm123345
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi. I've created several templates using Google Sheets that have been directly created in dropbox.com . When I try making copies/duplicates for some of the google sheets - the duplicated version won't open it says exactly this: File could not open. Try refreshing the page. I've tried making duplicates in the same folder, different folders, tried opening from safari and chrome, and the issue is still the same. I've tried making duplicates from both Dropbox web and dropbox finder. I didn't have this issue last week as I duplicated a budget where both files could open and be edited in but now making a duplicate won't open. Please please please help if anyones experienced the same thing and has a solution!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @organizerpm123345, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you having this issue only with Google Sheets, or other G-Suite files as well, like Google Docs, etc.?

How about entirely different file types?

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error, so we can have a visual as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

organizerpm123345
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hanna, this is how it looks like. I have no issues duplicating and opening google docs and google slides. The issue is only with google sheets. All the google sheets varies -  some only have a bit of text in whilst others have formated cells with formulas 

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 10.50.13.png

Cory M
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this same exact issue with one of my google sheet files in dropbox

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @organizerpm123345 and @Cory M!

Can you please clarify if you’ve both enabled third-party cookies on your web browser?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Cory M
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, third party cookies are enabled

pollenstudio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We have been using Google Sheets and Documents within our Dropbox for over a year now, however, recently when we attempt to open older documents or copies of our Google templates (from Finder, the Dropbox app and the internet site) we are directed to a webpage that says "File could not open. Try refreshing the page"

The same error appears on Chrome, Safari and Firefox and refreshing doesn't seem to work. Does anyone else has the issue and, if so, is there a way to resolve it? 

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 10.03.08 AM.png

KOMA
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

As of this morning I can't open large google spreadsheets (I've checked 5 large files) on Dropbox either via desktop or online. Small files (single sheets with less than 200 lines) open fine, gdocs and slides also open. Making a copy of the files, clearing cache, logging in+out, incognito, wifi/wired connections, different laptop (mac and windows), and different browsers did not help. I have already contacted support for help (they are working on it), posting here in case someone in the community has another idea.

Many thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zry Explorer | Level 4
    brightday New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    KOMA Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?