cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error when trying to open copies of Google Sheets files created in Dropbox

Error in opening Google sheets document

sendyjasmine
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm encountering a problem while using Google sheets that's integrated with Dropbox. It used to be fine, but when I tried to open it today, the page refused to load and the message that I got is "File could not open. Try refreshing the page". I already tried to refresh the page several times, but it wouldn't work. I even tried to copy the file and open the copy -- but again, to no avail. This happened to my several other Google sheets documents as well.

What do you think is happening and what should I do now? I'm afraid that it will affect my other Google documents since I'm using the Google-Dropbox integration quite often. 

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 16.17.48.png

46 Replies 46

KOMA
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just to add to Miike's comment, I also have the same issue, 

I can fix the original files so that they open but when I try to duplicate the 'fixed' files the same errors occur

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KOMA & @miiike, could you send me a screenshot of the error message you get, when you try to copy content using our website? 

Also, do you copy files into the same location or a different folder altogether? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KOMA
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Megan, thanks for replying, I copy the files into the same folder (though error also happens when I copy to elsewhere).

Steps are summarised below so you can see the second error in context. I sent the original issue to support on March 14th, (ticket 21729904) dropbox engineers are working on it but no progress afaik.

Error 1:

- Try to open 'Problem1.gsheet' spreadsheet file

- 'Could not open file, try refreshing the page'

Workaround:

- Rename file to 'Problem1.xlsx', open online, file works

- Close file, rename to .gsheet, open online, file works 

Error 2:

- Make a copy of the 'fixed' .gsheet aka 'Problem1-fixed-copy.gsheet'

- 'Could not open file, try refreshing the page'

Essentially the workaround only sorts out individual files, it does not fix the issue with using copies of files. Some people mentioned that the problem applies mostly to copies of 'template' files.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 09.59.26.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Awesome job on reaching out to our Support about this @KOMA!

I was able to locate your ticket, hang tight in there, and the agent working on your case will update you as soon as we have any new updates. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

brightday
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for my issue. Unfortunately, not until after we completely recreated a document unaware it was a larger issue. Unfortunately, this workaround also means all the formatting is completely gone. This has happened to 3 documents now. There needs to be a better more universal fix for this! It's bad enough that there is limited functionality of Google Sheets when using/creating through Dropbox (e.g. limited formulas and cell looks ups -- you can't have it reference a cell in another spreadsheet, and others) and now this issue. This specific issue has only started happening in the last couple months and needs sorted out quickly.

brightday
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is also problematic because it in essence creates an entirely new document. Which means that any revision history is gone and you can't restore or revert back to a previous version. ARG! Someone at Dropbox please figure out what is going on and fix this.

zry
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Huge thanks @KOMA your workaround helped us access our data as well. Thanks to you we have been doing the following.

Workaround for broken .gsheet files on Dropbox with "File could not open" error:

- Rename file to 'Problem1.xlsx'

--If in finder, right click, select view on dropbox

--If in dropbox website, click and open

- File will open in google sheets

- Select file > download > microsoft excel and continue working in excel going forward.

Need more support?