cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t print Word or Excel files from Dropbox.com

Can’t print Word or Excel files from Dropbox.com

itsjustme1
Helpful | Level 6

I have Dropbox.com set to open office files on the web with office integration. I open my Word document from dropbox.com
The file opens in Word (online at the Dropbox.com site)
When I choose File, Print...it says file is ready to print but never does anything. Never opens another window to select printer. Says if nothing opens, to download the file from the file menu. There is no download option anywhere in the file menu. Never get anything else. Doesn't print or download. No message in Edge showing me that it's trying to open a download.
Word documents = I click on print. It says file is ready to print. Nothing ever happens though. Using Edge or Chrome.

Excel = I click on print. New window opens but says blocked by Edge and Chrome. I have no extensions and set browser to defaults.

I also have an Office 365 account under a different email address. When I login to my Onedrive account, I can use everything without issue. I was trying to transition over to Dropbox, but without this properly working I can’t use it and will be requesting a refund.

Wesley from tech support keeps pushing the blame on office. Obviously not an office issue since that works perfectly fine by. It has something to do with Dropbox and/or the office integration. I really wish they would step up to the plate and assist me.

13 Replies 13

otterphotographyllc
Helpful | Level 5

I respectfully disagree as I have found this issue to be isolated only to dropbox I have given the dropbox site full allow permissions in chrome and allowed all pop-ups for the dropbox site nothing I have found resolve this issue yes the user can open the excel document using the open document as PDF but print preview and regular printing using excel for web from dropbox should work it should not be blocked the user should not have to resort to workarounds the user I am working with would like to only use dropbox for certain shard documents if they open the files locally or using office online printing and print preview works every time but that is a workaround the problem I assure you is isolated to dropbox and drop boxes version of excel / word I can not seem to find mention of the issue other than this thread and no one seems to offer a follow up other then to pass the blame its same issue on both edge and chrome and firefox doesn't offer a print preview at all so that also wouldn't be a good work around for a user that just wants to use the features that should work via drop box and not switch to an other solution maybe instead of passing blame someone can give a real solution as the problem is not anything the do with locally installed office 365 or office 365 online they both work flawlessly with the same documents so tell me another one please didn't work with any of my real world test devices and yes same as other poster brand new install of windows 10 with no plugins nothing messed will default settings and also tried to give drop-box site full access by allowing acess to everything incuding pop-ups in chrome no dice. any help would be greatly appreciated very frustrated trying to make stuff work that just should do begin with without having to jump though hoops have tried disabling the firewall and have no AV on the test system also disabled windows defender still get blocked by chrome / blocked by edge no print preview for excel for web via dropbox any suggestions of anything else I would try with a windows based system???  

dreamnest3
New member | Level 2

Files done in Word and saved to my computer will print.  Anything saved in Dropbox brings up the print menu but then NOTHING happens.  it is apparently not even making it into the print queue.

dreamnest3
New member | Level 2

I have checked and I am not running a proxy or VPN.  I have not changed my security software or anything else.  Yet this problem with Dropbox started several months ago and is getting worse.  I used to work around it by closing the Word document and then using print from the right click menu.  Now even that won't work.  Please find a fix for this as I loved Dropbox but this problem is causing me so much extra work I may have to go elsewhere and I really don't want to have to do that.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about this, @dreamnest3

Can you please clarify for me if this issue is occurring on the desktop app or www.dropbox.com, like the previous users had mentioned? 

Have you tried downloading one of your Word files directly from www.dropbox.com, saving it to another location on your computer and then, printing it? Does that seem to work?

Let me know, and we can take a look.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dreamnest3 New member | Level 2
    otterphotographyllc Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?