cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to attach a file via email...Gmail or any email service

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7
Exactly, instead of asking us irrelevant qns like phone versions etc and taking screenshots to send for trouble shooting. All along can but now no longer able to

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Hey Daven,
Have you been able to figure it out yet? The ability to attach from Dropbox in Gmail on Android phones can no longer be done the way we used to do it. I have no idea why but there is a very simple workaround which you can get used to after a while. It's been discussed here before. When you click the paper clip while composing a message, instead of immediately tapping on Dropbox as we used to, use the three horizontal lines in the top left corner sometimes called hamburger. That will open a list of all the places from which you can attach things and if you look down to find Dropbox do NOT tap on THE LABEL "Dropbox" there but on the ARROW just to the right of the word Dropbox. That gives you the ability to pick the folder in Dropbox from which you want to select your file and you can tap on it and it attaches normally. It's annoying that this integration has changed but this alternative is not much more inconvenient especially once you get used to it.
Dissolution is explained elsewhere but I couldn't figure it out at first because I hadn't noticed the little arrows to the right of the word "Dropbox" (and other sources for things to attach under the hamburger menu.)
Jim

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
I didn't think I had any arrows either.... but if you look carefully at the list of sources from which you can attach under the hamburger menu you will see a very small box with an arrow pointing to the right on the right side of each of the items listed. If you tap that little button it will allow you to attach normally from Dropbox.

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7

Hi,

Finally it is able to ! This sentence " if you look down to find Dropbox do NOT tap on THE LABEL "Dropbox" there but on the ARROW just to the right of the word Dropbox." has been left out thats why I keep unable to attached any files. Thanks for the help!

DAVEN L.
Helpful | Level 7
Yes, found it and finally solved my issue

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Glad to hear it Davin! This was very frustrating to me for several weeks!

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Daven,
So glad! Appreciate you letting me know!

RedBeard
New member | Level 2
I recently upgraded my phone, I have never had a problem attaching files from my drop box to my gmail until this point, has anybody else had trouble with this ?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RedBeard, I've merged you to this thread. Could you try the steps in the suggested solution to see if they help?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BoD Secty
Explorer | Level 3

That doesn't work either - going through the hamburger menu.  Can Dropbox, Gmail and Android fix this?  It's a really large step backwards, and makes all three services less attractive.

Need more support?