cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Failed Error Code 1073741795

Installation Failed Error Code 1073741795

The TechJedi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I keep getting the same error over and over again.

I have tried every suggested resolution and nothing has worked. Anyone?

TheTechJedi_0-1639185416440.png

150 Replies 150

JenTo
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Win10Pro, 64-bit, v21H1

I was using a previous Dropbox version (116.4.368) on my PC and received a notice in the tray that I had 21 days to update Dropbox. I tried every method mentioned in the support link provided in the error message, including a full install after uninstalling the previous version, and continually receive this error. 

Full message: "Installation failed with an unknown error (Error Code: -1073741795). See the link below for instructions to perform an advanced reinstall." and I have followed the instructions there without success.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @JenTo, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Do you have any other apps on your device that could prevent the update of the Dropbox desktop application?

These could be apps that monitor or change the Dropbox folder in some way. 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JenTo
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello there! Not that I'm aware of. Could you perhaps give me an example of programs that might interfere?

At one point before attempting reinstalling, I temporarily disabled my anti-virus/anti-malware program, but even then the desktop app would not install and ended with the same error message previously mentioned.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For instance, Boxifier in the past has been known to prevent the Dropbox desktop application from updating. 

If the app hasn't been installed with admin privileges, there could be similar issues. 

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, you could try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JenTo
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes, I am on the Dropbox basic plan, and in devices I see my old phone (which I have now removed) and my current phone. Up until yesterday my computer was also connected and that is still not happening.

*Edited to add: I do see under "Connected Apps" my phone manufacturer (Samsung) and as far as I know, this was required on my old phone to connect to Dropbox, but I'm not sure it is required for my new phone. Is there somewhere I can find those permissions to check?*

I looked at the advanced reinstall instructions you linked to and I am not comfortable editing the registry on my computer. Also, since I uninstalled the desktop app, the linked Dropbox folder does not appear on my computer any longer. 

Do I have any next step?

kanyekim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
  • As you can see, I am subscribed to Dropbox's basic plan, and the devices section shows that I have both my old phone (which I have now removed), as well as my current device. The computer that I have connected to the internet previously was connected as well. However, that is not the case any longer.
  • Which browser is used cleared all history and cache or unstalled the current browser and installed again restart computer then used dropbox and enjoyed! 
  • if not working again then used another browser to start the dropbox and enjoyed.
  •  

JenTo
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi, I'm not sure what you are saying or how it relates to my issue.

I have no trouble accessing the Dropbox website. I'm trying to reinstall the desktop app on my computer.

So are you saying my only option is to use the Dropbox website?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @JenTo, sorry to be jumping in here, but are you still having issues with this?

If you do, I can send you an email to look further into this matter internally. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JenTo
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thank you for jumping in, Walter. Yes, I still need help reinstalling Dropbox desktop on my Win10Pro PC.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries @JenTo - I just sent you an email, so we can have a closer look into this issue.

At your convenience, please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    hlussiatti Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Idelone New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?