cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore files deleted less than 30 days ago

Unable to restore files deleted less than 30 days ago

oliviabay
New member | Level 2

I am unable to restore deleted files. I go into the deleted files folder and select folders deleted in late September (less than 30 days ago), select "Restore" and the system says they are restoring, then confirms they are restored, but on refreshing they are back in deleted files and not in their original places. I have tried over multiple days, multiple web browsers, incognito and otherwise, cleared caches/cookies etc. and nothing is working to restore them. The account is a professional/school account and I've restored files may times over the past year or two but suddenly it has stopped working.

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @oliviabay, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It's indeed really strange that you're seeing this behavior across multiple browsers.

Were these files ones that you (this account) owned? Or were they shared files owned by someone else?

What do you see in your events page about this?

Also, since this is a Professional account, have you tried our rewind feature, to see if that helps?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oliviabay
New member | Level 2

-These are owned files. I have nothing shared with me.

-Nothing shown on the events page at all since the last file I added a few days ago. Nothing related to these folders in recent weeks.

-The folders were deleted in mid to late September and I've made many other changes to other things in my Dropbox since then so wouldn't want to undo all that.

Mark
Super User II

If they arent showing on Events then a few things has possibly happened:

1. They arent on Dropbox and never have been - have you checked you have enough quota to sync?
  2. They have been permanently deleted (this removes all traces of them)
  3. They are in a share which you have been removed from - OR you removed a share yourself. 

Events shows everything that happens to an account, so, if its not showing there its something else at play. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

oliviabay
New member | Level 2

The events show the day I deleted the folders back in September but they don't show me trying to restore them these past few days. They exist as <<You deleted "Folder Name" etc.>>.

My account is 1TB and I have used less than half of it.

They are not permanently deleted because 1.) I don't have permission to permanently delete anything on a professional account, 2.) They are literally showing in my Deleted files so there are clearly traces of them.

As I responded to the prior post, they are not shared files. I have zero shared files in this account. They are all originally mine.

The folders also clearly show up in my Deleted files so they are definitely on Dropbox. As I said, when I select the folders in my deleted files and select "Restore" and the system says they are restoring, then confirms they are restored, but on refreshing they are back in deleted files and not in their original places pre-deletion.

oliviabay
New member | Level 2

@Hannah , please see most recent responses. Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oliviabay New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?