cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to move or delete files via the web - "There was a problem completing this request"

Unable to move or delete files via the web - "There was a problem completing this request"

OnettNess
Explorer | Level 3

I'm at my wits end waiting for Dropbox advanced support to put eyes on my ticket, so I'm going to see if anyone has any suggestions here.

We are in the process of reorganizing our Dropbox entirely, going from one top-level folder with a bunch of subfolders containing all of our data to multiple top-level folders containing subfolders with all of our data. This was necessitated by users accidentally dragging and dropping large subfolders into other subfolders, causing havoc with the sync client across our organization. I created all the new top level folders and began migrating files from the existing subfolders to the new top level folders by choosing to move them via the web app (Chrome). For the first eight hours or so things went smoothly as expected. At about hour nine, I started getting an error when trying to move files stating "There was a problem completing this request". No further description or detail. If I waited about 30 minutes or so I would again be able to move folders and files, but that error would return after moving about 100 or so folders and their content. 

I reached out to Dropbox support, and followed their instructions for troubleshooting, including...

1. Trying a different browser.
2. Clearing cache.

Neither option helped and I was pushed to the advanced queue. I decided to give up for the night and thinking the system just might need some additional time to process and decided to sleep on it and try again in the morning.

About ten hours later the problem remains the same. I was able to move about another 100 folders but then the same error message returned. I also am noticing that I am unable to delete an empty folder that I previously moved because "There are too many files in one request. Please try with fewer files." Again, this folder shows as empty on Dropbox's site. Im also getting the new error "Couldn't move 1 file to (folder)". 

The entirety of our data store contains about 1.3 million files across 650k folders, most data being documents, PDF's, spreadsheets, and photos. There's really no logical reason that amount of data should take over 24 hours to move within Dropbox. If it is Dropbox still processing data in the background, there's no public facing status bar to track this, which is kind of limiting when it comes to this kind of project.

My case is currently sitting in the advanced queue, but as we're in an effective down state. Dropbox's support times for business are laughable. 

Anyone have any ideas or maybe dealt with a similar experience and got a successful resolution?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about this, @OnettNess and thanks for reaching out to us.

Can you please send us the ticket number for your communication with our support team, so we can investigate further?

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OnettNess
Explorer | Level 3

OnettNess
Explorer | Level 3

@hannah 23105388

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the ticket number, @OnettNess.

I've passed your comments along and raised the priority of your ticket, so a member of our team should get back to you the soonest possible.

Thanks for your patience in trying to resolve this and I hope you have a happy new year!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    OnettNess Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?