cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder - I'm not owner / files all gone and not in deleted?

Shared Folder - I'm not owner / files all gone and not in deleted?

EddieSteddie
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

I was (and still am) a member of a shared folder and have editing rights but I am not the owner.

I just saw that all the files in the folder have been deleted at some stage (could have been anytime in the last year) but I didn't get any kind of notification and can't see any events in my activity alerts and also can't find them in deleted items in order to restore them? I am on a basic plan so know I can only restore within 30 days

As I am not the owner of the folder could the owner have permanently deleted them without me knowing and seeing they had done that? Is there any way for me to find them or find out what happened to them?

Eddie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Yes - the owner of the shared folder has complete ownership rights of it.

Permanent deletion would remove the files so that they arent recoverable, but, also that means they dont appear on Events etc. note this is one process - they dont actively go and 'hide' it from the events log.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Hi @EddieSteddie 

If they dont show in deleted have you looked at www.dropbox.com/events ?

It is possible that the folder owner can permanently delete them, yes, and if they did that they wouldnt show in the Deleted lists.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

EddieSteddie
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks so much for replying! I have opened events and there is no activity for that folder showing - the events only go back to 13/11/23 which is exactly 6 months to today. Is that the maximum I can check? Also would any deletions by the owner definitely have had to be visible in the events section or could they have hidden them?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @EddieSteddie 

So, if they were deleted over 6 months they probably also wont show - because that is the maximum you can recover via Dropbox (note only if you were paid member at time of deletion). 

It isnt possible to hide an event from people UNLESS they are permanently deleted at which its instant. 

EddieSteddie
Explorer | Level 4
Sorry just to clarify to see if I have this correct! The owner of the shared folder can permanently delete files from it so that they can’t be recovered AND if they chose to they could also then permanently delete the evidence of that deletion from the events/activities area at the same time? so that there would literally be no history recorded that the deletion happened to anyone else in that shared that folder immediately after they have deleted it all?

Mark
Super User II

Yes - the owner of the shared folder has complete ownership rights of it.

Permanent deletion would remove the files so that they arent recoverable, but, also that means they dont appear on Events etc. note this is one process - they dont actively go and 'hide' it from the events log.

EddieSteddie
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you you’ve been really helpful
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EddieSteddie Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?