cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My file has gone missing from everywhere

My file has gone missing from everywhere

Pierre15
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Up until a few days ago, my resumé was in the Dropbox folder on my Mac. It mysteriously disappeared from every location. I know I did not delete it. It's not in a trash bin anywhere. Not in a recently deleted folder. Nothing. 

How do I go about recovering this file when Dropbox does not offer file recovery for the basic plan?

Thanks,

Pierre

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pierre15, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If the file isn't visible in the events page or the deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to why this might be the case:

• The file is on another Dropbox account
  • It was in a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The file was deleted outside of the 30 day period
  • The file was permanently deleted

Could you check the above possibilities to see if this could be the case.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pierre15
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay, that is a no to all the questions above. I did not delete it. It’s just not there. 

Thanks. 

jennwallace30
New member | Level 2

Did you ever find your missing files? I have photos that have gone missing - they were there not too long ago.  They are photos I know I'd never delete.  And they aren't in my deleted items folder.  Just missing.... 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pierre15, if the answer is no to everything, then that isn't possible, since the file should've existed on the Dropbox site at some point, and one of the options should be valid. 

Since it's no longer visible on the deleted files page, it wouldn't be possible to recover it, unfortunately.

Likewise, @jennwallace30, if the files aren't on the deleted files page or the events page, then they can't be recovered from the Dropbox site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Pierre15
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah but up until last week Monday or so the file existed in my Dropbox. And it's been there for years. Now it's just gone. And you're telling me there's no way to recover a file that has been residing on your platform for over 5 years?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @Pierre15, but you mentioned that the file was always in the Dropbox folder on your Mac.

Do you remember ever accessing it from our website?

I mean, is it possible that it never actually synced to your account, and you were only accessing the local version?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Pierre15
Explorer | Level 4

It was synced because I accessed it multiple times over the last couple months. This was my résumé that I was working on and sending to jobs. 

mcouvill
New member | Level 2

We just experienced the same thing. An entire folder and it's contents just disappeared on Friday. Nothing in any Deleted files (though files before and after show up), nothing in Trash bins. It's as if it never existed and it was NOT deleted as it was a key folder. It was shared and now it is just gone.

Rich
Super User II

@Pierre15 wrote:

It was synced because I accessed it multiple times over the last couple months.

But where did you access it? Were you always opening the local file in your Dropbox folder, or were you accessing it on the Dropbox website? Did you ever see the file on the website?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    mcouvill New member | Level 2
    Pierre15 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?