cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account is gone! Please Help!

My account is gone! Please Help!

gostlblues55
Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox for over 10+ years. I had a personal account that I used for everything from family photo backups, taxes, company budgets, projections, ideas, other client information, legal case info my 3 daughters entire lifes photos and projects and so much more I tear up thinking about it. Then in 2020 I opened another business with more employees and decided to integrate dropbox for business so we can collaborate together. Unbeknownst to me, When I created the business Dropbox using what I thought was my business email, Dropbox made all the business info within my personal account, which I guess now defaulted to the business account. 

My original email was [removed] (which is totally deleted from everywhere I had dropbox and wont let me sign in) and my business was [removed] similar to everyone else's email address within the company. After other opportunities opened up we stopped using the [removed] dropbox but I still had access and was paying for a while. I must have tried 10 times to switch my business back to personal but every time I would get to the end it would say we hate to see you go...here is additional time free to change your mind. Already confused on what was business and personal, I didn't want to lose any info so I would just keep using it the way it was bc it didnt seem like they would allow me to switch back without the risk of file lose. Now 12 days ago I got an email saying my [removed] account was totally deleted and my business on is still able to be signed in!!! But since the business one was somehow group into and under my personal there are 0 files in there!!!

I am not sure when but apparently all the files I had stored locally on an old computer and new ones all were within dropbox and online only. SO, everything I have digitally personal and business are now gone. The only thing I can see remnents of my entire life is where it says access to my [removed] files, but they are folders that you can open and 1000's of clients job folders but the documents have X's on them and cant be opened. When I can actually get a response from Dropbox through email they say there is nothing they can do to recover them but are still trying, which I think is strange considering they were only deleted 12 days ago and I reached out that day! 

This has already caused me major problems and damages at my job and there is pending litigation in which a lot of those files were critical to the outcome of the proceedings. Not to mention job information from 2010-2024 that is irreplaceable. Please someone tell me they have a solution to my issue... I have tried everything and not going to lie havent slept much trying to figure out ways to get my info back. Would they really take someones info and just disregard it like that. I had backups on 1 computer but it crashed last year and no one could recover the data. I didnt care that much because I have always thought my info was totally safe within Dropbox! 

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @gostlblues55, sorry to hear about that! 

Since sharing personal info on a public forum isn't the best solution, I'd suggest that we continue this convo via email. Does that sound good to you? 

That way, I'll have more tools to see how and if I can assist with that.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gostlblues55
Explorer | Level 3

That is fine. Please send me an email to [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gostlblues55, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it when you get a chance.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gostlblues55
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, can you please try again, I am not seeing it. Thank you!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

I've sent you another email, please could you reply to it as soon as possible.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    gostlblues55 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?