cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: deleting files

Moving files out of the Dropbox folder doesn't delete them from there

subarubi
New member | Level 2

I have used dropbox for years, downloading pictures from my phone into dropbox, then moving the files to my computer.  It always asks me if I want to delete from dropbox everywhere after I move the files out.  I got a new computer, and it doesn't ask to remove them, and I have to manually find the pictures I just moved out, and to delete them.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @subarubi, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you move files out of the Dropbox folder, it should automatically delete them from the Dropbox folder, since this is normal 'move' in the OS.

What device OS and Dropbox desktop application are you running?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@subarubi wrote:

It always asks me if I want to delete from dropbox everywhere after I move the files out.  I got a new computer, and it doesn't ask to remove them ...

Are you sure you're doing a move, and not a copy? Pay attention to the cursor while dragging the file and make sure it indicates a move, not a copy.

subarubi
New member | Level 2

My old computer was running windows 10 home, the new one is windows 11 home.  The app is on my samsung s23+ - no changes there.  And for the app on my computer, I just downloaded from the website.  I did move the location of the dropbox folder to be under the windows folder, not onedrive which is where I think it automatically set it up.  I normally just drag and drop to one of my picture folders, and it asks me if I want to delete everywhere.  On the new computer (after looking at another comment on my thread) that when I drag/drop it says it is copying.  It doesn't ask if I want to move out of dropbox.  I could not see an option to 'move'.  It does put a green checkmark on the picture in dropbox after I copy the picture to my computer.

subarubi
New member | Level 2

I think I answered you question in my comment above, but I just tried again and it said it was copying.  I always have done a drag/drop, and am not familiar with a way to designate a 'move'.  So maybe that is where I need help

Need more support?