cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't delete backup files because I can't signout of a device that I unlinked.

I can't delete backup files because I can't sign out of a device that I unlinked.

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I made a mistake in unlinking a device that had a backup on my Dropbox before I had signed out of it. This seems to mean that I cannot delete anything from that backup file in Dropbox - even though I can view most files. 

My Dropbox is full, and I would like to clean out a lot of things from that backup of an old computer that I no longer have access to. 

How can I do it?

12 Replies 12

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Arebeo!

Do you follow these steps while using your desktop app, or through your Backup page online

Have you tried using a different device, in order to access your Backup and delete it from there? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

My desktop app is connected to my work Dropbox, which I pay for. This problem is with my original private dropbox account, which I only access through the browser. 

Thanks for the link above. This gave me this screen which I have not seen before. Do I now delete the unlinked backup? Do I get to choose then to keep or delete the files of that backup if I do that?

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 11.25.49.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Arebeo!

Yes, you can delete your Backup if you wish. 

As for keeping or removing the files, that's up to you. If you choose to "Keep content in folders on this Mac" then your files and folders will be available in their respective locations on your Mac.

If you choose to "Leave content in Dropbox," your files will remain in your Dropbox account, in the Dropbox folder on your computer, dropbox.com, and anywhere you use Dropbox.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?