cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't delete backup files because I can't signout of a device that I unlinked.

I can't delete backup files because I can't sign out of a device that I unlinked.

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I made a mistake in unlinking a device that had a backup on my Dropbox before I had signed out of it. This seems to mean that I cannot delete anything from that backup file in Dropbox - even though I can view most files. 

My Dropbox is full, and I would like to clean out a lot of things from that backup of an old computer that I no longer have access to. 

How can I do it?

12 Replies 12

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Arebeo, and thanks for posting on our Community today. 

If you can’t access the device, then simply unlinking it from your Security page should be enough in order to delete your backup (unlinking the device and logging out of your Dropbox account on it are the same thing).

What do you see now though when trying to delete the backup? Feel free to send me a screenshot, as well. 

Give me a nudge, when you have more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Scott-e
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy, I am having this problem too. 

I have unlinked the old device from my settings tab and I still cant delete the back up.

The back up is around 20 gig in size and I'm currently way over the free limit.

I used to have a paid account but downgraded.

Thanks In Advance

Scott-e

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Scott-e! The old device no longer shows up here, correct? 

What happens exactly when you try to delete the backup? Can you send a screenshot? 

Are you unable to delete it via a different browser?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Scott-e
New member | Level 2

Hey Nancy,

The device is not showing in the settings and I can't delete either through Safari or Chrome.

However I seem to have figured out how to do it.  I was trying to access it through the normal folder system when I should have been going through dropbox.com/backup

All the old backups are deleted now

Cheers

Scott-e

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad you were able to figure this out, @Scott-e! I’ll be here, if you need something else.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am afraid that the solution shown here doesn't work for me. I have a private and a work Dropbox, and the app on my current computer is linked to my work Dropbox, while the problem with deleting old files from a computer I no longer have access to is on my private Dropbox. The old computer no longer shows up as a device on settings, and when I try to delete files, and click that I no longer have access, it wants to send me to the app - which does not seem to show anything related to my problem (justs offers me to link my current computer - which is backed up on my work dropbox, which I pay for in my own company). Anyway, I still need the private  dropbox, and it is currently blocked by a heavy folder from my studies that I want to delete but cannot. I get this message. Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 10.55.15.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @Arebeo, and sorry to hear the issue persists. Can you send one more visual of what appears after clicking on the “I don’t have access” option? 

I’ll be able to look into this further this way.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 18.57.47.png

Arebeo
Explorer | Level 3

And then, when I click on settings, I get forwarded to my account, and this is what I see - no devices, because I deleted the Macbook Air instead of signing out. 

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 18.59.57.png

Need more support?