cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can’t create new folders or move existing ones from my root Dropbox

I can’t create new folders or move existing ones from my root Dropbox

daveyp
Helpful | Level 6

This new file system for teams is absolutely awful and workflow-destroying. We can no longer create new folders or move folders on the root of the dropbox. That such a basic feature. Whenever I want to to move folders from the root I have to copy them and then delete the old one, all via the web interface, this is far slower, with more chance of error and (I may be mistaken here) as the files are a copy rather than a move you have to download them again. 

Would be fascinated to here rationale behind this. I'll be looking in to alternative services when I get some downtime because this isn't workable.

28 Replies 28

Slafitte
Explorer | Level 4

This is absolutely NOT expected behavior. Whomever created this system does not use the product. This is causing lost time and productivity, and is adding stress and frustration to our team. The sell for me was Dropbox's ease of use. This makes your product unusable, and if it does not change pretty **bleep** fast, then I will change to another solution. 

FECHSTUDIO
New member | Level 2

Hi, the same here: no one on my team received any notification about the changes Dropbox was going to make.

Please believe it; this change is causing serious problems and wasting time in our workflow.

FECHSTUDIO
New member | Level 2

We have the same problem, and it's really frustrating.

Slafitte
Explorer | Level 4

Adding: I am the administrator on our account, and I still don't have full acccess and capability over our files. 

mpthomas
New member | Level 2

Adding this chorus. This makes DropBox a bad offering for enterprises. We're actively looking for alternatives. 

asfdsadfasdf
Explorer | Level 4

For some reason the creation of top level folders has been disabled in explorer & finder, I'm not sure why this functionality has been removed but it's clearly less efficient - please can you bring it back! 

Wayne Peterson
New member | Level 2

So, Anastasia, when should we expect to see this functionality restored?  Given how easy it was for Dropbox to remove it, I cannot imagine it would be more difficult to restore.  The fact that this was intentional on the part of Dropbox doesn't make it defendable or something users should simply obediently accept as "in our best interest."  It was an arrogant, short-sighted move, and one you should promptly correct.  You're outside the "prompt" window already since I posted the initial feedback over a month ago.  What should we expect and when?  Thank you.

Viveca
Helpful | Level 6

I have not been able to find a Create folder and share option, and even if I did, I access Dropbox from several different accounts, so I am not always logged into the relevant one at that moment. Sometimes, I'm not logged into anything at all, which wasn't a problem when I could create folders on my computer, confident they would synch the next time I went online. This workaround is unnecessarily onerous. It's been months. I still haven't discovered any advantage to the new lose of functionality or heard any defense of it. Please restore the old system!

employee003030303
New member | Level 2

Chiming in here. Ive been using dropbox for years. Why would this be changed? I have been trying to figure out why I cant create a new folder for months. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

employee003030303 New member | Level 2
    Viveca Helpful | Level 6
    Wayne Peterson New member | Level 2
    asfdsadfasdf Explorer | Level 4
    mpthomas New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?