cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After logging into my account, my files are missing.

After logging into my account, my files are missing.

Magda77
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All. I've been using dropbox on my macbook, which has beed damaged recently. After logging to my dropbox on a new device as well as on a mobile, I can see completely empty account, no files, no billing history, nothing. Would you please kindly let me know what might happen here? I'd appreciate any directions.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Magda77, let's jump right into this! 

Is it possible that you opened a new account, instead of logging into your old one? 

Would you mind checking your events page, to see what it reports there?  The events page gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes).

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Magda77
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for a quick response. I've checked the events page and there are the recent items listed only (these since I logged in on a new device) and it absolutely looks like a new account with the same email? Could that be possible? I mean creating a new account on the existing email? What I can do to access the previous one?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Magda77, a Dropbox account can't be created using the same email address.

Was the previous Dropbox account a paid one, by any chance? I'm asking since you mentioned the "billing page". 

Also, when was the last time you saw your files when visiting your account online? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Magda77
Explorer | Level 4
Yes it was paid account, created a long time ago, it actually could be created using different mail but no way I can remember it as well as the password??

Megan
Dropbox Staff

If you have the billing info,  you can always use our self-serve look-up tool in order to locate where the charge is coming from @Magda77

That could give you an insight. Let me know what you find. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Magda77
Explorer | Level 4
Ok so looks like we're heading the solution..I've found out my account was set using an email address which no longer exist. It has worked as long as i used one and the same device. When login in now even with a correct password it says my code has been sent to the email no longer exist. So what do I need to do to access it without logging to the non existing mail account? Thanks for your patience with me 🙂

Magda77
Explorer | Level 4
And when typing in the 12-digit transaction number it requires the card 4 digit number and the date, and when I type in it doesnt work

Rich
Super User II

@Magda77 wrote:
So what do I need to do to access it without logging to the non existing mail account?

Your best option, if possible, it to gain access to the email account. Perhaps the email service provider can assist you in recreating the email account if it no longer exists.

Beyond that, you can try contacting Support but without access to the email account, you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

If Support isn't able to grant access to the account, they can at least cancel any charges going forward.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Magda77 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?