cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unsync folders?

How to unsync folders?

KathleenWT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello!

I love Dropbox and have purchased extra space to make sure I can store all my files.

However, I have a new problem. I'm a fledgling translator, and after syncing some of my translations to Dropbox, I discovered that most translation clients refuse to allow a freelance translator to store company files in the cloud. I need to be able to unsync my translation folders so that, from now on, nothing new will get synced.

In addition to the legal confidentiality agreements which forbid the use of all cloud services, the software I use to translate (Trados Studio 2022) becomes extremely buggy when using files that sync.

Please tell me how to unsync specific folders so that they only update on my local drive. It's rather urgent.

Thank you in advance for your help! -- Kathleen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KathleenWT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just came up with another workaround, and I think this one will work. I'm very lucky because I have a D:\ drive that I haven't yet used for anything. Maybe I could put my translation files there and come up with a local form of backup, and then I could continue to use Dropbox for everything else. 

Any thoughts? This should work, right?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

KathleenWT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just had a thought. If I were to rename the folders on my computer, would that be a simple way to stop them from syncing?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@KathleenWT wrote:

Please tell me how to unsync specific folders so that they only update on my local drive.

You can just move the folders outside of your Dropbox folder so they doesn't sync. If you must store the folders in Dropbox, you can tell Dropbox to ignore them but you'll need to use PowerShell or Terminal to do it.

KathleenWT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I tried the PowerShell method, and it didn't work. The folder and its files still show green checkmarks, instead of gray with a minus sign.

Now what? Any other ideas?

Thanks very much!

KathleenWT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just came up with another workaround, and I think this one will work. I'm very lucky because I have a D:\ drive that I haven't yet used for anything. Maybe I could put my translation files there and come up with a local form of backup, and then I could continue to use Dropbox for everything else. 

Any thoughts? This should work, right?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KathleenWT Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?