cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files deleted from Lightroom don't to the Bin. They go to a file named "CloudStorge/Dropbox/.Trash"

Files deleted from Lightroom don't to the Bin. They go to a file named "CloudStorge/Dropbox/.Trash"

Xavier Montaner
Helpful | Level 5

Hi

I have been using Dropbox and Lightroom together for years.  In recent weeks and when I delete files from Lightroom they don't go to the Bin. They go to a file named "CloudStorage/Dropbox/.Trash".  This is somehow a hidden folder that I have managed to find via CleanMy Mac software. However,  when I delete files from Viewer they do go to the Bin.  The main problem is that these files still take space in my Hard Drive...

I believe that the issue came up since the last updated version of Dropbox for macOS.  

I am using a Macbook Pro with a M1 Processor and I always have had the latest software installed.  The same applies to Lightroom.

Could you please assist?  Thank you 

25 Replies 25

Xavier Montaner
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the update John.  I am wondering if this may be related to the latest Dropbox update.  Are you using Windows or Mac?

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

Using a Mac. Pretty sure this is related to the Dropbox update as it just starting happening right after I updated. 

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

What I want to know is how to go about deleting the images without having to use a 3rd party program. That folder does not show up when you show hidden files and folders. 

Xavier Montaner
Helpful | Level 5

Hi John.  Using a Mac too.  I have also noticed that since the upgrade you are talking about, the synchronising of files takes longer.  I am a photographer and when I synchronise a batch of images via Lightroom, I have noticed a slower speed synchronising. 

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

I haven't noticed that myself but I also haven't been paying attention to that either. 

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

If I delete an image from the folder in finder in outs it in the Mac trash so its something with the way Lightroom and Dropbox delete files when you delete from Lightroom. 

Xavier Montaner
Helpful | Level 5

You are correct.  It is the way the new Dropbox upgrade interacts with Lightroom... But the problem did not happen before the upgrade.   

Xavier Montaner
Helpful | Level 5

have look to that link talking about the Dropbox upgrade ... Link with info

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the link. I gave its a quick look (will read it in more detail later) but,  I have not had any other issues yet with the new Dropbox, just the deleted files. 

johncocci
Explorer | Level 4

So in doing some more testing. I am running Lightroom on two different Macs and using Dropbox to manage my Lightroom library. Both computers are running the same version of dropbox, however where the dropbox folder is stored is not the same on the two computers. One my laptop it is in the Documents folder (which is where I want it). On my Mac Studio the Dropbox folder was in the Documents folder but when I updated Dropbox it moved it to  /Users/john/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox with no option to move it somewhere else. So why does the same version of Dropbox behave two different ways for where files are stored/ Also when I open Lightroom on my laptop and delete an image it does put it in the trash. The only other difference is my laptop is running a different version of Ventura Tham my Mac Studio. The laptop is a version behind the Mac Studio. I hope this makes sense what I explained. It doesn't make sense of what is happening though. I am not going to update my laptop to the new version of Ventura. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Goffaux Explorer | Level 3
    johncocci Explorer | Level 4
    Xavier Montaner Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?