cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox file folder overwritten by mistake

Dropbox file folder overwritten by mistake

PC72
New member | Level 2

I managed to overwrite the single Dropbox file folder I had on my computer. When prompted to rename or put in another folder, I clicked the rename. Now the DB folder on my computer is empty (replaced by a newly named DB folder that is of course empty), and I have the newly empty folder on the DB cloud so I have nothing to restore. And I cannot seem to find a person at DB to explain all this to. Any suggestions?

PC72

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @PC72 - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let me know your computer's OS version and the current version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Also, are you seeing your files on the website, be it in the homepage or the events page

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PC72
New member | Level 2

Hi

Below are all the OS details I can find.

I can't find anything about the Dropbox details you asked about. I only see the DB icon in File Manager, and that icon says no files are in it.

When I logon to DB online, there are no files there at all.

When I was trying to sort all this out earlier, I must have inadvertently opened another DB Basic account. It said it had found a DB folder on my computer and asked if I wanted to rename it or open another one. I clicked the wrong button and told it to rename. It must have overwritten my original DB folder on my computer. I should have another account on DB website with the email: [removed]. Perhaps my files are there but DB says it cannot verify that account.

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎2023-‎11-‎21
OS build 22631.4169
Serial number R912GSQY
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1034.0

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

PC72
New member | Level 2

I believe the current version is 208.4.5824 and status is up to date.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PC72 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?