cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unexpected deletion of files

Dropbox deleted all my files!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No, we didn’t.

Now that the clickbait worked, let’s get into the meat of the article.

I know there’s a lot of frustration about how ‘Dropbox deleted all my files’. I accept it’s hard to lose files, especially if they’re vital for your business, precious family or baby pictures, or even your favorite cryptocurrency digital wallet.

We’ve received emails, calls, and forum threads stating the same as the title. Users are insistent that we did the deletions. However, as other Dropboxers have posted here have said, and while it makes me seem robotic to repeat the same answer, this is the truth:

Dropbox does not delete your files, without any user interaction on them.

The latter part of that sentence is paramount. If you, or someone else with access to those files, deletes them, then Dropbox does what it’s supposed to do, and syncs the deletion to all devices and users.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

22 Replies 22

EvanDBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Deskal, thanks for posting and I am really sorry to hear about this issue.

I moved your post to a thread where  has already listed the most common reasons on how a deletion can happen.

Let me know if any of this helps!

Evan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PUZZLED_NEWBY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No, Dropbox did not delete all my files.  Yes, I cancelled Dropbox.  No, my files are still there, both on my Online-Cloud-Dropbox account, and on my local

computer. 

My question is:  If I delete the files on my online Dropbox account, is there a way to cancel any and all unwanted syncing behavior.  Beforehand!

If you understand the question and can answer it, you don't even have to read further.  Just answer the question.

I simply want to AVOID that the various unpredictable, illogical, unintuitive computer brains and moods of Dropbox get the insane idea of sneaking uninvited onto my computer (the one at home, the local computer, the one I own, the one where the data on it belongs to me and not to you.) 

( I just want to provide emphasis on what's important. I do have the impression that when it comes to data, computer geniuses no longer understand the difference between mine and yours.  To explain: What's on or in my place is mine, what's on or in your place is yours. This is how it works among civilized people. )  

So, is it possible for you to explain in simple, understandable words how I can make sure that you are not deleting data on my computer, and then

laugh, and mock us, saying, hey that's what syncing is.  Sorry no, my data on my computer belongs into the "You can't touch this" category. 

If you do not like the drift and tone of my questions, that is understandable. I know that I am annoying like Joe Pesci, and that's for a good reason.

If you cannot handle this question forward it to the unknown, unnamed, irresponsible owners of Dropbox.  

In case you still do not understand me:  Do not delete any data on my local computer!  

It's what you call: client-side.  To you, the client is a computer.  To me, the client is a human being. That human being is me. That's where we differ.  Because, just because your program runs rough-shod over the rights of your customers, meaning it disregards and tramples on the rights of customers to the undisturbed use and enjoyment of their data, and just because your EULA absolving your company of all responsibility, does not mean that this is something the customer agrees with.  Just like I do not owe you my firstborn, in the same manner I do not give you free reign over my data.  

Now do you get it?  

Kindly treat my inquiry as a canary in the coal-mine situation. You know, if the canary keels over, there is not enough oxygen in the mine, and possible

even coal gas in there, so.. that makes for an explosive situation.  I am not sure if I am right, but I have the feeling I speak for millions of unhappy customers, and/or victims of the software industry.  Any politician who runs with the plank: "I am going to make the software industry act responsibly",

will get my vote.  The others, they are all paid off.  So, if you could treat my question as reasonable and fair, I'd appreciate that.

Sorry that I ruffled your feathers, but you are the only bird available.  Plus I told you you don't have to read further, but curiosity got the better of you.

joecarrow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am very delighted to read this informative thread where I learn some great tips and guides that can helps to avoid unexpectedly deletion of files on Drop box. Thanks to dropbox support team, thanks to everyone!

Smithad49
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Deleting, Editing and Organizing files in your dropbox account.

PUZZLED_NEWBY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's no answer!  

I asked whether Dropbox is entitled, via its EULA and other unexplained rules, to delete files on my personal local computer, or anyone else's computer, if I were to delete files on the ONLINE side of DROPBOX.

The question puts forth a specific conditional.  In words easier to understand for you, IF I do this, then WHAT is the consequence? 

I do not want mealy-mouthed legal mumbo jumbo, I do not want what I call "uncertain, iffy, maybe, maybe not computer talk"!

Actions have consequences.  Non-actions have other consequences. So, either you have a crystal clear answer, or you have nothing.

What do you have?

PUZZLED_NEWBY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Like I said, this is not an answer.   Either you KNOW what Dropbox does, or you don't.  Moving my question elsewhere is useless.

I therefore assume that you do not know the answer.

Or you just can't be sure, because, guess what, in my experience with Dropbox I find that I cannot be sure either.

I am really surprised that there are no answers to this. 

URog2023
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all,

It appears DropBox deleted all my files in 2016 and I was not aware 😞

Is there any way possible to recover my files?
Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @URog2023, sorry to hear that your files are gone.

Just for clarification, Dropbox doesn't really delete your files, but there are many reasons why a deletion might happen.

I moved your post to a thread where Jay has listed all the possible reasons why a file might get deleted.

That being said, if the files were deleted back in 2016, I'm afraid they cannot be restored, as they are long gone from our servers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if you have any more questions, please let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

JaMaL69
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for explaining all this, however it does NOT cover all possible cases of deletion. I have lost many files FROM INSIDE MY FOLDERS ON MY PC (hundreds of precious photos, videos, and music files!) and yet NONE of the things you describe happened or were done. I was using Backup and it was on Pause (at only 7% complete) and all I did was try to delete that Backup from my Taskbar interface with Dropbox. Bizarrely, this didn't delete the Backup but I then discovered that it DID delete many of my files not only ON DROPBOX but also ON MY COMPUTER! These files could not be found in my Recycling bin, nor in Dropbox Restore, nor could the deletions be found under the Dropbox Events. I'm praying you guys have some way of restoring these lost files to me! I currently have a Ticket in with support but I'm not optimistic that a happy resolution will be provided. So far they have no idea how this happened 😞 Anyway, I just wanted to say here that you have in fact NOT covered all the possible causes of deletion.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JaMaL69, I hope you're doing well!

Can you share your ticket number reference of your communication with our Support, with me?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?