cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does online update computer folder or visa versa?

Does online update computer folder or visa versa?

Yofi
Explorer | Level 3

I had a PC hard drive crash. Windows 10 disk wouldn't fix it so I hooked up my secondary drive to get it to boot. This drive has a backup Dropbox folder that I had made earlier. When I got original boot drive working it now shows the older folder and so does website. I'm assuming that as soon as I started the older drive it updated online to this older folder and when I got the original drive to boot the website updated the folder on the PC. So does the PC Dropbox folder update the website or does the website update the computer folder?

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

So does the PC Dropbox folder update the website or does the website update the computer folder?

Neither. Any change is synced, in either direction. Even if you replace a newer file with an older one, Dropbox sees it as a change and will sync it. Do not assume that just because a file is newer that Dropbox will sync the new one replacing the old one. It all depends on the order of the events, not the time stamp of the file.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?