cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOCX file copied from Dropbox flagged by Microsoft Word as originating from an untrusted source

DOCX file copied from Dropbox flagged by Microsoft Word as originating from an untrusted source

DANI3L
Explorer | Level 3

I've copied to my local drive a DOCX file that I was working on in Dropbox, and when I tried continuing work offline on the copy I made on my drive, Microsoft Word told me that the DOCX file has macros disabled because the source of the file is untrusted.

Microsoft Word referred me to this help page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/a-potentially-dangerous-macro-has-been-blocked-0952faa0-37...

However, the file Properties does not display any Security section in the General tab so that I can Unblock it.

I also don't know how to add my Dropbox to the Trusted Sites.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DANI3L, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned that you copied the file to your local drive, from Dropbox. Do you mean you copied it from inside your local Dropbox folder on the device? 

If you were indeed using the app, was this file available offline, or online-only in your Dropbox folder? As for the Properties, that don't display any Security section does this happen specifically with this file? 

If you could send me a couple of screenshots, that'd be amazing. 

Lastly, when you say that you want to add Dropbox to your trusted sites, do you mean you wish to whitelist the site? Let me know more as to what you wish to achieve here, in order for me to be able to guide you, and present you with the most appropriate steps. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DANI3L
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Yes, I copied the file from inside my local Dropbox folder to my local drive.

Here's a screenshot.

DANI3L_0-1681148208272.png

Despite disabling Protected View and enabling all macros, I'm still warned about a security risk.

DANI3L_1-1681148312006.pngDANI3L_2-1681148325325.png

It's surely a Microsoft Windows/Office issue, because I did nothing than backing up this file to Dropbox, and then I copied it to my local drive to work on it, and was warned by M$ Office Word about the file being untrusted...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DANI3L, sorry to jump in here. 

If you quit the Dropbox app and then proceed to copy the file again with the Dropbox app closed, are you getting the same behavior?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DANI3L
Explorer | Level 3

This issue dissapeared after I installed today Windows update KB5025239.

DANI3L_0-1681295465897.png

So, as was evident, this was just one of those strange Windows issues.

Or did I have to restart Windows for the Microsoft Office Macro Settings and Protected View setting updates to kick in?

DANI3L
Explorer | Level 3

BTW, I noticed yesterday that I had this same issue with DOCX files downloaded from other legit online platforms, so it was not a Dropbox issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DANI3L, thanks for the update, this will help other users experiencing the same issue!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Fritz E
New member | Level 2

I keep all my MS Word files on Dropbox. MS is blocking macros for all my files. I "need" my macros! I tried making both the files and the folders "trusted" but that doesn't work. And I tried posting this issue as its own discussion, but that didn't work either ("Authentication Failed").

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Fritz E, as this is a Microsoft product that is preventing the use of the macros, I'd recommend following the steps provided by the previous user. 

If that doesn't work, try contacting Microsoft support for further assistance on this matter. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Fritz E New member | Level 2
    DANI3L Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?