cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do I need a backup if I use Dropbox memory?

Do I need a backup if I use Dropbox memory?

TomJoad71
Helpful | Level 6

Hi there,

I have implemented Dropbox on my laptop as the folder where I have all my files and folders saved and synchronized in real time. This is what I call the Dropbox memory. Now I learned about Dropbox backups and my question is: What do I need this for? Doesn't it overlap with the "memory" function?

When I connected an external hard disk, I was asked if I want to save the files in a Dropbox backup. I clicked YES and now the hard disk files are stored as a backup in the cloud. This is great. So, it doesn't seem to be possible, at least not with a private license, to save the external hard disk files in the same way as I save my laptop hard disk files. So, the backup is a nice alternative.

But again: For the files in my laptop hard disk that are saved and synchronized directly under the Dropx box folder, my impression is that a backup doesn't make sense (and even doesn't seem to be possible).

Does this more or less make sense?

Best

Thomas

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@TomJoad71 wrote:

For the files in my laptop hard disk that are saved and synchronized directly under the Dropx box folder, my impression is that a backup doesn't make sense ...

That's more or less correct. The two functions, sync and backup, serve two purposes. If your files are already in your local Dropbox folder, they're syncing to your account in the cloud and you have some protection for lost or damaged files (version history, file recovery, Rewind, etc.). This isn't a backup, though. The files can be accessed in the cloud or on other devices. It's purely a sync.

Backup is meant for those files that don't exist in your local Dropbox folder and can't sync. Files like those in your key folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) and external drives can be backed up to your account. These backups are stored separately and cannot be accessed like your regular files. They're simply stored online and are available to download should the originals become lost or damaged.

That being said, you should still back up the files in your local Dropbox folder if they're important to you. This would be done by occasionally copying them to an external drive, using a third-party backup software, etc. Cloud storage is great, regardless of which service you use, but mistakes happen. For instance, you may accidentally delete a file and not realize it until after your recovery period has passed. If you keep your own backups as well, file recovery becomes much easier for the things that Dropbox can't recover for you.

TomJoad71
Helpful | Level 6

Tx a lot! makes all sense to me! Also thank you for advising making a copy of my dropbox folders on an external hard disk! All the best, Thomas

Need more support?