cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demented father deletes family recipe folder 45d ago. Can anyone help?

Demented father deletes family recipe folder 45d ago. Can anyone help?

tobib
Explorer | Level 3
Hi everyone,
I have a free Dropbox account in which I used to keep all the most important family recipes over the past 11 years and made them available to everyone. Unfortunately my father is suffering from dementia and among other problems he is struggeling with technology. He had the folder synced with his Windows PC and in an attempt to free space he deleted it on the 30th of June. I only realized it today. Since it's a free account I can't restore the files anymore. We are quite devestated to have lost all these precious recipes and I wonder if anyone has any advice for us. Of course I would be happy to upgrade the account but as far as I know that won't change what has already happened. Lately nobody apart from my father has been keeping a local copy of it so there are no PC which have been offline or anything to fall back on.
Thank you everyone!
Tobi
2 Replies 2

behzod
Super User

The "Extended Version History" feature on the Dropbox website applies to any files deleted or modified after purchase. As a result, this option cannot assist in recovering a file that was deleted 45 days ago. Here are two options that I can suggest:

1. Check the recycle bin on your PC to see if the file is still there.
  2. Use file recovery software. There are plenty of free options available that are quite effective at recovering document files. In the past, I've used Recuva to recover some of my Word documents.

Good luck.

tobib
Explorer | Level 3
Hi bezhod,
thank you for your help!
I will see if we can recover anything using file recovery software. Oh man, if only I had noticed it a couple of days ago.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tobib Explorer | Level 3
    behzod Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?