cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files from a business I no longer work with—just from my own Dropbox account?

Deleting files from a business I no longer work with—just from my own Dropbox account?

Champeen Reet
Explorer | Level 3

New owners bought the company I worked for and essentially fired almost all the staff. Apparently they also shut us out of their Dropbox account—I can neither drag company files onto my desktop, nor open them in Dropbox. How can I delete their files (or their account) from my Dropbox app without affecting my personal account and theirs? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Champeen Reet, sorry to hear about that! 

Just to clarify, and make sure we're on the same page: were you all part of a Business team, or did each one of you own an individual Dropbox account? 

Keep in mind that you definitely can't delete their actual Dropbox account in any of these cases, especially if we're talking about a Business team, and they are admins of this team. Unless you're the admin there. Are you referring to unlinking your app from the account, by any chance? 

As for the files, are we referring to shared content, or Team content? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Champeen Reet
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the speedy reply, Megan.

To my knowledge, the magazine I worked for had only one account for the entire staff. (We were the whole team.) We used it to share files—primarily PDFs—as deadlines approached. After the new owners let all of us go, I opened my own Dropbox account, whose files I have no trouble working with.

I assume the new owners froze the whole staff out of the company account, as they did with company emails. I have no wish to touch their account in any way. I simply want to get it off my Dropbox app.

I await your reply with all ten fingers crossed!

Rita

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Champeen Reet, thanks for clarifying! 

All you'd have to do would be to sign out of the app from the old account, and then sign in with your personal one. Want to give it a go, and let me know how it goes? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Champeen Reet
Explorer | Level 3

Alas, you’re talking to a technologically challenged senior citizen.  When I click on the Dropbox icon, my files and the company’s appear in the same window.  I've downloaded my personal files to my desktop; should I delete both accounts and set up a new one? (That's presuming I can delete a business account from my computer.)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Champeen Reet, did you try the steps provided by my colleague to sign out of the Dropbox account?

Are you able to access the preferences from the system tray/menu bar?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Champeen Reet Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?