cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Delete content only on my phone, not in Dropbox. How to do that?

Delete content only on my phone, not in Dropbox. How to do that?

dondario
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello. Dropbox free.

I have set automatic upload of photoes taken from smartphone to dropbox.

1) reviewing the pictures in dropbox, I want to delete some of them, but only from dropbox, not from my phone. how to do?

2) I created a folder shared with my daughter. If she (or I) deletes some pictures from dropbox, I do not want them removed from the smartphone. how to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dondario, thanks for the additional clarifications.

That message you're seeing has to do with the devices linked to your Dropbox account.

If you have multiple devices connected to your Dropbox account and you make a change on one of the devices, the rest will also sync this change.

But this only affects Dropbox; if you have the same files on other locations on your computer or your phone, deleting them from Dropbox won't affect those.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dondario, I hope you're having a great Friday so far! 

It sounds like you have enabled our camera uploads feature, but now you want to tidy up your Dropbox account a bit. 

If I understand this correctly, you want to be able to review, and delete content in your mobile app, without it getting deleted from the gallery on your phone, is that right? If you meant something different feel free to clarify for me. 

Deleting content off Dropbox on your mobile app, won't delete the files in your phone's gallery. The same thing happens with the shared folder. If your daughter ends up deleting something, it might get deleted off of your Dropbox account, but not your phone's gallery. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dondario
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hello.

many thanks for your reply.

yes, you understood what I meant.

working with desktop pc, in dropbox, when I select a picture and try to delete it, a "terrifying message" scares me: if you delete this file from dropbox, it will be deleted in any position, something like that. so, what is the meaning of the message if you just told me pictures do not disappear from phone gallery when deleted from dropbox?

thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dondario, thanks for the additional clarifications.

That message you're seeing has to do with the devices linked to your Dropbox account.

If you have multiple devices connected to your Dropbox account and you make a change on one of the devices, the rest will also sync this change.

But this only affects Dropbox; if you have the same files on other locations on your computer or your phone, deleting them from Dropbox won't affect those.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?