cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese characters in my deletion confirmation pop-up on Windows

Chinese characters in my deletion confirmation pop-up on Windows

moyay
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

Something new happen recently when I was deleting some files. When I delete something from my Dropbox, I get a notice that they're moving the files to the Recycle Bin and then another prompt that asks me if I want to remove those files from all the devices connected to the dropbox. The new thing that happen is the last prompt now contains what appears to be Chinese characters. (Picture attached) I've reinstalled the Dropbox on both devices connected and that hasn't fixed the issue. Does anybody know what this is or how do I fix this? I haven't seen it when using any other program. The characters doesn't appear on the "moving files to the recycle bin" prompt but only on the prompt that comes after which is asking if I want to remove the files from the other connected devices. Also the Chinese characters aren't always in the same location. Sometimes they're beside the Dropbox at the top of the prompt and sometimes they on the "Delete Everywhere" button. 

Screenshot 2024-01-02 20.00.51.png

35 Replies 35

margTD
New member | Level 2

I've had the same issue since yesterday and am also using Windows 7 Professional.

margTD_0-1704775439458.png

GerardoPetrosino
Explorer | Level 3

The same as replied by margTD, I also confirm that the symbols/asian characters in the notification box change every time, even for the same file (i.e. if I don't remove the file pressing "cancel" and I delete the same file again)

Liviuk
Explorer | Level 3

Me too (I noticed that in Windows 7), also symbols are changing or changing position. Maybe it matters, recently I installed Dropbox Passwords on Android Phone and I use Dropbox Passwords in Opera Browser. On Windows 11 the first question from #moyay with moving file to Recycle Bin does not appear, only the second question that is all right, without assian characters.

caraparker
New member | Level 2

Same issue, same OS (Windows 7 Pro)messed up Dropbox popup.jpg. Just noticed it happening for the first time this morning! 

martab
Helpful | Level 6

I've started to get the same stuff just today. At first I thought it was me, cause I had just shaken my keaboard a bit while cleaning it, and I thought I might have hit some weird combination of keys and changed my language options... but I checked them all, both in Dropbox and the OS (win7 too, btw), and it's all in English (US), keyboard in Spanish (as expected).

I ran an AVG scan on the dropbox folder and it came out clean. I uninstalled and re-installed Dropbox completely too, but the issue persists. I used google translator with the camera to check the meaning of all that... and it's the WEIRDEST and most random things lol... The characters change every time for me too, even for the same file. It only happens in Dropbox, nowhere else in my PC.

If anyone knows what it is, please reply... Thanks.

Capture.PNG

flatpaxabia
Explorer | Level 4
I have the same thing. Started about a week ago. I'm running W7 pro and as far as I know my Dropbox is up to date.

flatpaxabia
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same thing. For no reason at all.
I am using W7.
Has anyone "Mr. Dropbox" got a reason for this?

martab
Helpful | Level 6

I've been cheking this every day since I pubished here, but no answers. I just untinstalled Dropbox alltogether, cause it really doesn't look good to me. They've already got a data breach not so long ago, which leads me to believe they don't really take security very seriously, and that is not good for those of us who still run windows 7, since it's got no support from Microsoft anymore. I'm already looking for alternative services in case there is no answer any time soon... I'd advise everyone to do the same.

Mark
Super User II

Just tried to escalate for you all 🙂

It would help if people could just confirm Dropbox version number as well as OS version. 

For info a newer version of Dropbox is available here. That may fix it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sabertooth
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Hanna: Windows 7 Pro. Dropbox 190.4.6383

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam DBX Community Manager
    Edward Alan Helpful | Level 5
    martab Helpful | Level 6
    GrandpaW Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?