cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete a PC backup from from dropbox backups

Can't delete a PC backup from from dropbox backups

gijo
Explorer | Level 3

I want to delete a PC backup (PC(3)) to which I don't have access. Dropbox says to unlink that PC first if I don't have access to that PC. However, I have already unlinked that PC, but I still can't delete it.

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gijo, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

From what I gather, you've already removed the mentioned device from your account's security page, but its backup on Dropbox won't get deleted.

Could you send us a screenshot of the last page you can get to or the error you've been getting so that we can have a visual too?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

gijo
Explorer | Level 3

gijo_0-1667895376600.png

Here is the screenshot. I want the old PC(3) backup to be deleted.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gijo, thank you for the screenshot! 

If you click the three dots on the right part of the screen, next to the device's name, what options do you see there? You should be prompted to disable your backup for this device, to which you can then select that you don't have access to it anymore. 

Do you see the device on your Security page? If so, you can do it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gijo
Explorer | Level 3

When I click those three dots,  there is an option to delete that backup.  Then when I click, "I don't have access", it takes me to the security tab, Where that PC is not listed. I only have the current PC listed there which I am logged in currently.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I see, @gijo

Would it be okay for me to reach out via email, in order to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

gijo
Explorer | Level 3

Yeah sure.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gijo, I just sent you an email, we'll continue there.

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

evristow
New member | Level 2

Hi, is there a public solution to this problem? I have a client in a similar situation, wasting 1TB of dropbox space for a backup he doesn't need any more from a Mac he no longer has. 

Dropbox Community is quite frustrating. More often than not, when you find a topic or question that addresses your concern, dropbox support has contacted the original poster via email and the solution is not public - a waste of time and space. 

Thanks, 

Eddy

ExplorerDora
New member | Level 2

Every thread I found on this topic ended with the same words: "can I send you an email so that we can resolve this". Why is there no solution posted for everyone to see? I'm having the exact same problem: installed the desktop app on a new computer, unlinked the old computer, can't delete the backup from the old computer because Dropbox keeps me chasing my tail in a vicious circle (backup->no longer have access to device->settings->device not shown under linked devices because it's already been unlinked->back to backup). And by the way, re-installing Dropbox on the old computer didn't do me any good--when I opened backups on the old computer, it prompted me to set up backup from scratch because it's already been unlinked, there is no indication anywhere that a backup already exists for this computer. Yet it does exist, it's what eaten up all my available space (figuring out the reason for no available space was another "adventure" I could have gladly done without). What a nightmare. Huge oversight in the software design. Tired and frustrated and seriously considering ditching Dropbox for good.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ExplorerDora New member | Level 2
    evristow New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    gijo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?