cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer save current or new MS word or excel file on dropbox with android devices.

Can no longer save current or new MS word or excel file on dropbox with android devices.

Trush861
Explorer | Level 4

I can no longer save current or new Ms word or excel files on dropbox, when I try and do so I get "Can't edit - This file is read-only. To edit it, first save a copy of the file". I get this even on brand new files never saved before, when I select Save a copy it comes up with the same meesage again. It works fine with my laptop just my phone and tablet are having the issue.

Tablet Galaxy Tab A8: Android version 13

Dropbox app version: 320.2.10

MS word version: 1.0.1 (16.0.16227.20132)

I have signed out and signed in, un-installed and re-installed, updated everything to latest versions, restarted everything.

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Trush861, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Are you the owner of these files or have they been shared with you? 

Also, can you please let us know if you're logged into your Microsoft account when trying to edit those files in the first place?

Have you tried exporting it to MS Word or Excel and working on the file from there perhaps?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Brian Cashman
Explorer | Level 4
Same problem. Android Excel. I saved a copy on Dropbox. After saving and opening I get the read-only message yet if I make a change, save, and reopen, the change is there. Further, even though Excel says the file is in Dropbox it's no where to be found in Dropbox. It's in limbo somewhere. Excel says the file "Needs attention" but there's no way to save it in Dropbox so it's not read-only and accessible in Dropbox.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brian Cashman , sorry to hear you’re seeing this, as well. 

Can you send me a screenshot of the message you keep receiving about the file being read-only, so that we can have a visual?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pat7330890
New member | Level 2

Guys I have had the same issue for the past few months. Uninstalled Dropbox App and same with Excel and Word. 

The problem is on Android operating system (new). Have 6 Pro Pixel. 

I am a heavy user of Dropbox Files. Each 2 weeks I edit and save Excel and Word files and send to someone and save a copy to my Dropbox. It has been a recent problem where I cannot do it from my Phone and I am close to COMPLETELY SWITCHING TO GOOGLE DRIVE. TURNING OFF MY EXPENSIVE DROPBOX SUBSCRIPTION AND ALSO SELLING MY INVESTMENT IN DROPBOX. It is massively frustrating and Dropbox should have figured this out by now. The seamless sync is the key to Dropbox strength and if you cannot figure it out then it is time for goodbye. 

-open new OR existing file in EXCEL or WORD 

-save the file after edit or create to OneDrive or Google Drive no problem 

-error message: “Can’t edit. This file is read-only. To edit if, first save a copy of the file.” 

-even SAVE AS no longer works and you cannot save WORD or EXCEL files to Dropbox 

-cleared all Cache etc dbx/msft 

Guys you need to fix this A S A P. 

Pat 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Pat7330890, thanks for posting here!

Can you clarify the OS you're using on your Pro Pixel, along with the version of the app that you have installed there? 

If you have any screenshots of the exact error message you get, that'd be amazing. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Vince A.2
Explorer | Level 3

Has anyone fixed this issue? I've been having this issue for quite some time now. I can edit a word doc on my PC, save it and can view it anywhere on any PC, phone or laptop.

I can open the same word doc named "storage catalog" from my phone's dropbox app, select office 365 as the default app to view and edit. After editing the document and trying to save, I get this message "Can't edit - This file is read-only. to edit it, First save a copy of the file"

I would save the file under a smiliar name such as storage catalog V2, it will not save the newer version name, the original file name "storage catalog V1" remains unedited despite trying to save it.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Vince A.2, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know your device's exact OS version and the version of the apps involved as well? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Vince A.2
Explorer | Level 3
Dropbox 338.2.2, microsoft office 365 16.0.16227.20212, Android 13.
Tried editing and saving word documents created with office 365 and Microsoft Word 2010

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Can you maybe try the standalone MS Word and MS Excel apps instead of Office 365 and let me know if the issue persists then @Vince A.2

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JPoppa New member | Level 2
    Robert E.13 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Vince A.2 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?