cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Not Just 'Reset' My Dropbox or Otherwise Delete Every File in it?

Can I Not Just 'Reset' My Dropbox or Otherwise Delete Every File in it?

Batesokc
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox is a cluster. So I bought two external drives and downloaded all my files to one drive and then copied that drive to a second drive (in case the first fails at some point).

Now, how in the heck do I delete all the files on my Dropbox? I have a paid plan and I just want it set back to zero. I'm on the verge of simply canceling it and moving on with a different cloud service. 

Seems like I'm down to two folders left. I guess that are both prior sync'd folders to previous computers. It's like 700GB so I need it gone. But it won't let me simply delete the files. I get in a hamster wheel of it telling me [pop up] "Delete Desktop from your My Mac backup? Go to back up settings to delete desktop. If you no longer have access to the computer, you use to create my Mac backup, click, I don't have access." So, I click "I don't have access." Then it wants me to click "settings" to "unlink" My Mac and under Security Tab sign out. But under the security tab and Devices the Mc Mac isn't listed. So, now what do I do? There is another folder called My iMac (haven't had an iMac in Years). I cant get rid of those files either.

Any ideas?

Why can I not just reset my account THAT I'M PAYING $199/yr FOR?!!!!?  I'd seriously just cancel the whole thing now, but it doesn't renew till next February. 

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Batesokc - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It sounds like you have enabled the Dropbox Backup feature at some point and this is why you're getting this particular message.

Are you able to disable or delete your backups from the backups page perhaps?

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?