cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to recover files that were stored in Dropbox before my account was downgraded

I need to recover files that were stored in Dropbox before my account was downgraded

Johanbvav
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Dropbox team,

Until a few months ago, I was one of your first Dropbox users since 2007. I primarily used your service to store valuable baby videos and photos of my daughter. 

Unfortunately, my subscription ended a few months ago. For the first time in 16 years, I found myself temporarily in a difficult financial situation since my Blockchain project failed due to the Ukraine/Russian war, and could not afford the increased Dropbox costs, despite my long-standing loyalty to Dropbox. 

Now, however, I can reactivate my subscription and urgently seek your help.

These videos and photos are not stored anywhere else and contain precious memories of the birth of my now 16-year-old daughter and her early years. These files are invaluable to our family.

Could you please check if these videos and photos are still in the cloud? I hope that Dropbox is a company with a heart and has not deleted these files. Your assistance would mean a great deal to us. If you didn’t delete our videos I would like to reactivate my subscription for the coming years.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Kind regards,

Johan

Amsterdam, the Netherlands

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Johanbvav! Thanks for posting on our Community about this. 

Please keep in mind that we don't have account visibility on the forum, so we can't look into your Dropbox account. However, there are couple of things we can check together.

In general, even if your Dropbox account downgrades from a paid subscription to a free Basic plan, you should still be able to access all of your files. What will happen is that you can’t upload more files or sync to linked devices till your account is under-quota again. 

Did you delete these files or the Dropbox account instead, when the downgrade occurred? 

Are you currently logged in to the same account that was previously upgraded? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Johanbvav
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Nancy, that sounds hopeful!

I see I use a recent Gmail email, I was not aware of having mutual Dropbox accounts.

Through the years, with different companies of mine, I used a few accounts I see in my Lastpass. Now the one I think I used for my daughter's baby videos is on an old email address I don't use anymore.

And I even have my password in LastPass for that account.

However, after login, Dropbox shows a page with:

Additional authentication is required
We sent a code to johan@... and any devices you’ve linked to this account. Enter the code to continue.

6-digit code

Since I don't use that email address anymore (last year the subscription of that domain ended), what can I do?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for sharing more info! Do you have any other devices that are still linked to that Dropbox account? If yes, please check their notifications as the code may be there. After you’ve entered the Dropbox account, you’ll need to update your email address immediately to one you can access.

If this doesn’t work, I suggest you open a ticket with our support team directly (by following these exact steps). Don’t forget to share your ticket number with me; I can leave them a note on your behalf.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Johanbvav
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Unfortunately I don't have any other devices linked, so I have sent a message to the support team:

Ticket #23863888: DB: No access

Could you please leave them a note on my behalf?

Best regards,
Johan

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the ticket number @Johanbvav 

I've located it in our system and passed your comments on.

A member of the team will be reaching out shortly, but let us know if you have anything else to add in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Johanbvav Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?