cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Uploads folder auto deletes?

Camera Uploads folder auto deletes?

DracoNocturne
New member | Level 2

About a year ago, I could have sworn that a ton of photos I had in my Camera Uploads folder had just magically disappeared. Today, I'm looking at the same folder and it seems I only have photos in there that have been uploaded until about a year ago. I saw somewhere else here in the community that some files may be auto deleted after a year due to inactivity.
Can someone define "inactivity" for me. I'm constantly moving, deleting, and uploading files to my drop box. Is that enough? I saw that I need to "sign in" to remain active. But aren't I signed in as long as my Dropbox folders keep updating and such? I would love to know some of these answers so as not to lose any of those precious moments I've captured on my camera phone and uploaded here to dropbox. 

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@DracoNocturne wrote:

I'm looking at the same folder and it seems I only have photos in there that have been uploaded until about a year ago. I saw somewhere else here in the community that some files may be auto deleted after a year due to inactivity. Can someone define "inactivity" for me.

Dropbox doesn't delete your files, ever. What it will do is delete your entire account (files included) if the account remains idle for more than a year. If you're not on a paid subscription and you don't sign in to the account at least once in a twelve-month period, the account could be deleted due to inactivity.

I'm constantly moving, deleting, and uploading files to my drop box. Is that enough?

Yes.

Tixy
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue.

My Dropbox App on my Mac and the space via browser aren't in sync,  I didn't have more space (more than the basic offer). So, while I was making space deleting some pictures from the app, suddenly, the whole folder "Camera Upload" disappeared.

Meanwhile I made space, however I can't find anywhere the folder.

Can someone have any suggestion?

Thanks

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox cannot delete things unless its told to do so. 

If you deleted it from a computer it should be in the Recycle Bin / Trash can unless you got a message from the OS saying it was too big and wouldnt fit. It isnt possible to delete the Camera Uploads folder from the website. 

You could have emptied what was on the website, but, that would only delete what had sync'd and nothing else. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tixy
New member | Level 2

Hi Mark,

thank you for your reply, unfortunately, I still cannot find anywhere the folder "Camera Uploads" that was present in my folder "Dropbox" on the Mac, nor online and I checked the bin as well. Very weird and upsetting.

I'll check today with Apple Store

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tixy New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?