cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"For some unknown reason, the operation failed" error when accessing a password-protected link.

"For some unknown reason, the operation failed" error when accessing a password-protected link.

SiJen
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have a dropbox link to some confidential documents that are shared with me, and I have the password too. Last month I was able to access all documents without any problem. However, these days I am not able to access it, and I am getting the following message "For some unknown reason, the operation failed". I tried several times but always getting the same problem. Can anyone help me please.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SiJen! Hope you’re doing well and thanks for your post. 

Have you triple checked you’re entering the right password? 

You can also test this via another browser/incognito mode to make sure it’s not a browser-related issue.

Other than that, I suggest contacting the owner of the shared link; since you mention the files are confidential, I’m wondering if the owner has either deleted the files from their Dropbox account or the link itself. 

Let me know how it goes.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SiJen
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Nancy! Thank you for the reply!

I checked the password many times. Also, I tested via many browsers, and always I am getting the same problem.

I also contacted the link owner, the files are not deleted. Then, he shared another link with me. I tested with new link and always not able to connect.

Ps: the owner has a business account and I have a personal free one. 

Thanks.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates, @SiJen! Out of curiosity, is the owner able to access the shared link on his end? To test this, he'll need to open an incognito window (where he's NOT signed in to any Dropbox account) and open the link there.

Since he's on Business, is there any chance he may have altered any of the link permissions or the team’s sharing settings, in general (in case he's an admin)?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    SiJen Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?