cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do shared files count against my space use???

Why do shared files count against my space use???

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage? Is this data counted twice? If someone who is sharing files with me is paying for this space, why should I have to pay as well just to access it? I am out of space, I have no intention of buying more space, and yet, when someone shares some files with me, I cannot access them and I am forced to buy space in order to access them. Why is this?

Thank you.

143 Replies 143

roshana
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just started working (volunteering) for a spiritual group. They have tons of photos and videos and whatnot, and they've shared these folders with me so that I can do social media posting for them. 

But I keep getting the message that I'm over my limit. 

99% of that limit is the shared files. 

What to do?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @roshana, thanks for reaching out to us!

I moved your post to a thread with plenty of info relevant to your query.

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Eva27
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I got access to the folder from my supervisor with editing rights. As I add files to this folder, I have written that I have run out of space and that the limit is over 2GB. I asked the manager, they told me that 1TB was bought from them. Why can't I upload files to their working folder, if the one whose folder has a 1TB plan is purchased.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Shared folders do count against your own Dropbox space too, @Eva27.

I've moved your post to this thread with some info relevant to it.

Make sure to check it out and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Katherinemillle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have a Basic plan. I’ve uploaded nothing, am retired, and only use it 4-5 times a year to download from a shared folder violin music scores for concert rehearsals. The orchestra manages the shared folders. There was one with lots of photos. My account is telling me I’m over capacity, but I’ve always deleted what I downloaded to print. I’m not paying &12/month for this minimal use. I’m clearly not in the know. Can any one tell me what to do?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Katherinemillle wrote:
I have a Basic plan. I’ve uploaded nothing ... and only use it ... to download from a shared folder ... My account is telling me I’m over capacity

If you're a member of a shared folder, the content of that folder takes space in your account.

If you only need download access, ask the owner of the folder to send you a view-only shared link instead.

Katherinemillle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you so much for this suggestion. I’ll ask the orchestra manager and see if that was the cause!

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to share a large folder temporarily with a contractor, in order for her to do a trial project for us. She states she cannot access the shared folder due to storage. I am not familiar enough with Dropbox's storage use to know if this is an issue when she goes to open online or if she can free up her storage on her synced desktop and thus allow this shared folder to be opened. Perhaps it doesn't matter - if the folder causes her storage to exceed online and has nothing to do with her storage on her computer? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again, @Rebecca16!

Indeed, a shared folder will take up space in the accounts of all the members, when the folder is shared with edit permissions.

Do you need this person to have edit access to the folder or just view and/or download it to their computer?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just view/download I believe. But also capability to save new items to the folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mwoo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    tpatel0 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?