cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do shared files count against my space use???

Why do shared files count against my space use???

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage? Is this data counted twice? If someone who is sharing files with me is paying for this space, why should I have to pay as well just to access it? I am out of space, I have no intention of buying more space, and yet, when someone shares some files with me, I cannot access them and I am forced to buy space in order to access them. Why is this?

Thank you.

143 Replies 143

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jasphoto, I've merged you to this thread, please could you check the posted solution for more information on your query?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stevengallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is just dumb. No way they're really copying each and every file within that shared folder. That makes zero sense, and is just a method to rip off users of their money! 😠

stevengallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

«If Dropbox doesnt make money they go bankrupt and then there is no service to use» 👉 User shaming isn't necessarily the best way to go on about it 🤣

stevengallagher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey, since someone already paid for the data parking space, why should I pay for the same folder space too? This is just a straight rip-off. Not happy at all.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @stevengallagher, while we appreciate your feedback, keep in mind that if you'd like to have edit access on a folder, it needs to be added to your account as well, that's why it takes up your space.

If you just want to access a folder, the owner can send you a 'can view' link instead and if you need to upload files to the folder, they can send you a file request.

None of the above require space or even a Dropbox account.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JamesK1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to share a folder with someone so that they can securely share documents with me but they keep getting the notice 'you are over your 2GB allowance' and then giving the option to pay to upgrade.

The other user does not use dropbox personally so has nothing in their account and I have tried to create a shared folder on 2 different dropbox accounts with the same result. The first account is using around 15% of the 2Tb limit, and the other has 20mb used of a 2Gb limit.

My understanding is that even if the other user was using dropbox as the shared folder sits on my dropbox account it counts towards my limit and not the other persons.

I have shared folders with many other people without this issue so that they can securely provide files to me (mainly pdf files of business related paperwork) without this issue.

I believe that this user is trying to populate the shared folder on their phone from the app rather than logging in on a laptop via the web browser?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JamesK1981 wrote:

My understanding is that even if the other user was using dropbox as the shared folder sits on my dropbox account it counts towards my limit and not the other persons.

That's not correct. As they receive a copy of the folder in their account, it takes up space in their account. They need to have enough available space in their account to hold the folder and anything added to it.

https://help.dropbox.com/storage-space/storage-space

I have shared folders with many other people without this issue ...

Then those people have accounts with enough space available for the shared folder.

I believe that this user is trying to populate the shared folder on their phone from the app rather than logging in on a laptop via the web browser?

How they are populating the folder wouldn't matter. The limit is based on their account, not the method used.

If you only need them to send files to you, and they won't have a need to access those files after they send them, consider using a File Request instead. The sender doesn't even need a Dropbox account.

JamesK1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Considering that this shared folder is their only use of dropbox and only contains 2mb of data it is hard to see how the 2gb limit has been exceeded

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JamesK1981 wrote:

Considering that this shared folder is their only use of dropbox and only contains 2mb of data it is hard to see how the 2gb limit has been exceeded

Either the folder is more than 2GB or they have other data in their account taking up space. They can check their actual usage on their Plan page, where is shows a breakdown of their data (regular, shared, backups, etc.).

HonestGhost
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

I'll try to keep this simple

I have a personal account - Account A

In the past I have access to another account Account B

and I'm working on a freelance job now which allows me access to their Dropbox Account C

Account A is very under my 2GB free limit - but tells me it is over capacity due to Account C (see below)

Account B I no longer need access to - and have asked for the refund of the ££ that was charged for the upgrade of capacity

My problem is Account C.  It is a massive project folder with layers of files - and I am being told that I need to upgrade in order to sync with it and continue to upload documentation.  But I'm a visitor to this folder - I didn't set it up - I am not the Admin on it - so why do I need to pay almost £100 for the access?  There are several people in my team that this will affect - and some can't afford to pay this.

I've been in touch with Dropbox admin and, whilst they dealt with the refund, ignored the above.

How is this solved?

Thank you for your help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mwoo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    tpatel0 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?