cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can users edit my PDF files in shared links with view-only access?

Why can users edit my PDF files in shared links with view-only access?

shoes70
New member | Level 2

I have a PDF I'm trying to share out, view only, to everyone who has the link. I have it set to View only. I have the folder set to View only. But when I share the link, the full PDF edit tools are avaiable and anyone can edit (or write all over) the PDF. This seems to be a Dropbox error.

Here's the file — see for yourself. [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Any ideas how to shut off edit capabilities? Needless to say, I'm testing this logged out and in an incognito browser.

S

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@shoes70 wrote:

I have it set to View only. I have the folder set to View only. But when I share the link, the full PDF edit tools are avaiable and anyone can edit (or write all over) the PDF.

They can't edit your original, and no one else would be able to see their edits. It just allows them to edit and save a copy to their own Dropbox account, if they wish. View-only links allow download access as well, so this is no different from someone downloading (or saving) a copy for themselves, and editing it offline.

Needless to say, I'm testing this logged out and in an incognito browser.

You should see that you can't save the file unless you sign in, and if you do sign in with a different account, the only option is to save a copy to your own Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?