cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I send an email, my name is as Dropbox. What?

When I send an email, my name is as Dropbox. What?

MCRS
New member | Level 2

When I send an email from my tablet it shows to the receiver that my email is called Dropbox not my email address.

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MCRS, welcome to our Community! 

Just to clarify, does that happen when you open your email address on your tablet, and send a simple email to someone, or when you try to share a Dropbox file with the receiver? 

If you have any screenshots of how this looks on your end, you are more than welcome to send them over, in order for me to have a visual too. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gorgar07
Explorer | Level 4

I have a client that has the SAME PROBLEM if she attaches a file on Mac os 13 in safari on gmail. The email header -- from -- says "Drop Box File" but has their sender address underneath. She can't get it out of there. I made a script on mac to place it in a folder with her name but found no answers for her to correct this.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @gorgar07, are you certain this isn't applied automatically by the email provider or host? Is the contact on their account showing the name added there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gorgar07
Explorer | Level 4

I understand that there is a plugin for Dropbox integration in Chrome for gmail, but NOT Safari. It adds an icon at the bottom to attach a file thru Dropbox. Angela is using Safari and there is no plugin. It is going thru gmail and only shows up as Drop Box File when she does an attachment, otherwise it comes thru as her normal gmail address. Therefore it stands to reason that It has to be something happening from the dropbox integration ON HER SYSTEM and not her email client. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We've done a few tests here and using the Chrome extension, the sender is still showing up as the name of the user. 

I'd recommend that they check their contacts lists to ensure that it hasn't somehow been renamed by the system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gorgar07
Explorer | Level 4

As I mentioned IN THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE she is NOT using Chrome so that is a mute point because an extension has not been produced for SAFARI that I know of. I had her check her contacts for anything dropbox. NADA. I will try and talk her thru a remote session so I can see and control her computer. I'm sure its something with the dropbox integration to the mail system. As I previously mentioned, it doesn't happen unless she adds an attachment that then triggers dropbox and renames the sender to Drop Box File, adds the attachment Icon and subsequently changes the AS (her sender initials) to DF (Dropbox File) in the round icon on the right. It's an utter disaster.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.29.05 AM.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gorgar07. This is quite an unexpected behavior indeed. 

When you've checked this with her, let us know of any updates here and what you found.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    gorgar07 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?