cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between sharing a link or Dropbox Transfer?

What is the difference between sharing a link or Dropbox Transfer?

acanestrelli
Explorer | Level 3

What are the exact differences between choosing  a folder and sharing the link of that folder to a person who doesnt have Dropbox, or using Dropbox Transfer to send that folder to the same person? Do not suggest me that that person should download Dropbox. He is not allowed to use it in his workplace since they use a different system. I have Dropbox Professional with University of Florida, I am employed there.

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @acanestrelli, I'd be happy to help!

Let's start with shared folders. Essentially when you add someone to your shared folder, you're sharing a copy of the content with the end user.

Someone should have a Dropbox account in order to become a member, and the available space to host the folder to their account. 

With shared links, you can simply choose to send it to your colleague, and they wouldn't need a Dropbox account. The link doesn't take up space on their end if it has viewing rights, and you can also disable downloads for it. 

Dropbox Transfer enables you to choose files from within Dropbox or on your computer to quickly and easily send to others for download.

Transfers automatically expire after a period of time and enable users to download all of the files with one click.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

acanestrelli
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you but it doesnt answer my question: what are the exact differences between choosing  a folder and sharing the link of that folder to a person who doesnt have Dropbox, or using Dropbox Transfer to send that folder to the same person?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

acanestrelli Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?