cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videos are getting automatically uploaded as .mov and not HEVC on my iPhone app.

Videos are getting automatically uploaded as .mov and not HEVC on my iPhone app.

nuttygamer
Explorer | Level 3

I have already followed this guide

https://help.dropbox.com/create-upload/ios-formats

however, after it is uploaded to Dropbox, it shows up as .mov file

facts of the current situation

• HEVC format was preset prior to commencing upload of auto backup
  • original file on iPhone 15 Pro is HEVC, standard 1080p video
  • photos that are heic on the phone are uploading as heic
  • rebooted phone doesn't solve problem because backup has already started and no option to tell dropbox app to stop uploading
  • app has been delete, phone rebooted, app reinstalled from app store.
  • videos are recorded with default camera app
  • iOS version: iOS 17.5.1
  • Dropbox app version: 384.2 that was updated 1 week ago as of posting

nuttygamer_0-1720779763187.jpeg

Camera upload settings page

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on the forum, @nuttygamer.

I’d like one more screenshot of what you see after going to your iPhone settings > tapping on “Photos” > “Transfer to Mac or PC”.

Is this something that’s always been happening with HEVC files, or did you start noticing this behavior recently?

Let me know when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

.mov is a container format, which means it can contain one of many different encodings, like H.264 or H.265 (HEVC). You can identify the contents of the file's encoded stream using a tool like QuickTime Player to get info on it. For example, here's one that Camera Uploads processed for me: 

zacw_0-1720797268396.png

nuttygamer
Explorer | Level 3

I realized dropbox stopped uploading my videos so I turned it back. But before it had uploaded HEVC version not .mp4 or .mov

IMG_1144.jpeg

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@nuttygamer, As zacv noted container formats are independent of encoding formats, despite designed and usually used in some optional relations - you erroneous assume some mandatory relationship that don't exist! In particular HEVC encoding may be packed in any container format (including .mov). 😉 Did you check what encoding is in your .mov file? Post the result...

PS: It's another story that instead of simple sync (what most probably you expect), Dropbox encodes the media (both photos and videos) on its own that may leads to some confusions sometimes. Just keep in mind, Dropbox don't sync them - they are always encoded and packed independently; maybe not in the way you expect. Container format doesn't mandate particular encoding format though! (.mov denotes container format, HEVC is encoding format)

nuttygamer
Explorer | Level 3

Except I have had Dropbox successfully upload .hevc files not .mov files. I care about the container not just the encoding.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nuttygamer Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    zacw Dropbox Engineer
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?