cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing folder outside dropbox

Synchronizing folder outside dropbox

plord
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, is it possible to synchronize folder oustide dropbox folder? I got some work-files that I don't want to copy around but I could You some backup of them of dropbox. 

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@plord wrote:

is it possible to synchronize folder oustide dropbox folder?

Dropbox only syncs the files and folders located in the Dropbox folder. Even if you enable the backup feature for your key folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.), Dropbox will move those files into the Dropbox folder so they will sync.

hello_box11
Explorer | Level 4
@Rich that’s no longer true since I believe dropbox recently released the ability to backup these folders without moving them.

Mark
Super User II

@hello_box11 - no it is still true, they just 'mask' it very well. 

The number of threads on here showing how computers / files are lost when people delete Dropbox from the computer without rolling this back is testament to that 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hello_box11
Explorer | Level 4
@Mark that is because the new capability released very recently for new computer backup. For the existing one, you are right and that’s still the case. And I believe you can quickly test it out by setting up the computer backup and verify if there is symbolic link created?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hello_box11 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?