cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Standard expiration date for sharing links

Standard expiration date for sharing links

Tobs
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I need to share some of my files for the next 40 days, so an unlimited expiration date for my sharing link is what im looking for. But i cant find any information about the standard expiration date. So the question is, if i create a sharing link now, how lang will it be useable, or is there no default expiration time and it can be used until i remove the access to the folder? (Im not owning a business account)

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@Tobs wrote:

So the question is, if i create a sharing link now, how lang will it be useable

There is no expiration on a shared link. It will remain active as long as the file or folder it links to remains in the account.

KC805
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same question.   I have my ebook posted on DropBox with a shared link.   I posted it a few months ago and the link expired to it and I had to create a new link and change my email notifications.    So yes, Shared Links do expire.     

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

12/2023 Yes my links expire too in the Free Version.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CAB2k, let's jump right into this! 

Do you get any specific errors when trying to share your folders/links with others? 

Did you also receive an email informing you about the ban? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KC805
Explorer | Level 4

I have been telling them this for months.     They keep regurgitating that the subscription I'm on doesn't allow me to set expirations.  I have emailed them pictures of all the expiration error messages and I get the same answers.    It's a bug in their system and no one will acknowledge it.   In fact, the last response I got was that I was in a different version that allowed me to set expirations.   Conflicting information that gets you no where.   I think I have used DB for over 10 years and loved it until their touted features and help don't work well.   I moved my shared files over to Sync.com just for my shared things and it looks to be working well and is free for my level of usage.       

KC805
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, Megan - over and over and over and no resolution but people telling me that links don't expire and then even some more conflicting information that "oh, I was using a version that suddenly I can set links to expire"  WHICH I DON'T WANT THEM TO EXPIRE!!!!!!!  I don't know how else to say this.   I have loved using my DB and it has been an integral part of my business, but have lost confidence in doing anything other than storage and access.   I moved my sharing things over to Sync.com.   

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

No message on my end. The link was created on 11/27/23. The link worked when it was sent that day. The link was sent to a 3rd party for viewing & she got this message.

This person can't access the file because of its sharing permissions

I've had similar issues with expired links but I do not know what message they got. They said it had expired.

CAB2k
Helpful | Level 5

My guess was that only Pro version didn't expire. But if that is not true you could set the expiration date way in the future I suppose. If you are using Pro, which I am not.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KC805, generally an expiration date on a link, and a banned link isn't the same thing. 

When a link expires, and someone visits a link after it expires, they'll see an error that says "This link is expired."

Links don't expire on their own, you need to set it up. 

As for a ban, your sharing activity simply gets banned, depending on the traffic your account/shared links receive. 

You can avoid that if you keep some of these things in mind. In any case, if you need further help with that we're here. 

Also @CAB2k, if you try to create a link on your end, or share a folder, do you get any errors? That would mean that your account has an active ban. 

Do you share a link using these steps? If you try to access the link using an incognito tab on your browser, do you get the same message? 

If yes, feel free to send us a message!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?