cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective sync - Showing all folders marked for sync, even though I previously unselected many.

Selective sync - Showing all folders marked for sync, even though I previously unselected many.

sekturina
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,
I am using the selective sync option on my PC (Win 10, DB v202.4.5551) and I already have many folders set to web only. So, if I remember correctly, when I open the preferences and go to selective sync options, those folders shouldn't be marked. I could clearly see what folders will be stored locally and which will be stored only on web. 

Today I wanted to set few more folders to web only, but now in the selective sync options menu all folders are marked to be stored locally as well. They are actually not stored locally as per my previous selection, but they are shown as marked in that menu. So, I am afraid that if I make any changes in those settings, all marked folders will be set to locally stored and downloaded to my PC.

Hopefully I am making sense and you can understand what I am trying to say.

What to do, how to make changes in selective sync menu but not to have to manually search and un-mark folders I already am not storing locally and prevent a whole mess (I have a lot of folders set to web-only).

Thank you

Mateja

19 Replies 19

Vicker
Super User

Hi,  @sekturina , 

In Dropbox, the "Selective Sync" and "Online Only" are 2 different features. In short, selective sync control whether the item is shown on your local machine or not, while online only control whether the file on your local machine is just an empty file or with the actual content. These 2 features could be combined to use together.

For more information regarding Selective Sync, please refer to the official documentation here.
https://help.dropbox.com/sync/selective-sync-overview

Further, here's a short extract that explains the difference.

What's the difference between selective sync and online-only?

Making your files and folders online-only also helps save hard drive space. These files and folders will still be visible from your computer, but are stored in your Dropbox account online.

Based on how you use certain files and folders, they can automatically be set to online-only.

Cheers

sekturina
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Vicker,
Thank you for your reply.

But I don't think you understood the issue. You concentrated on difference between two features, one of which I didn't talk about, but I might have used the term that sounds like I was talking about it. I am only talking about the selective sync, in which, folders that are not marked will be stored only online and not on my hard drive. I used the term online-only which caused your confusion I assume.

With this clarified it should be easier to understand the issue.
Here's a screenshot of the menu. In reality, some of these folders are already set to *not sync, store only online* and when I open selective sync it shows them marked to sync and store locally. If I try to make any changes, it will change the settings for all folders and store locally folders I previously set not to store locally. Do you understand the issue? Everything is showing as marked to be seen locally, even though I already made many folders not visible on local drive months and years ago. 
db screen.jpg

sekturina
Helpful | Level 5

There are too many folders that I already made to be stored only on Dropbox and I don't remember them all. That should be shown in the menu, those folders shouldn't be marked. But all folders are, which doesn't correspond to reality. If I want to turn off sync to a folder now, and I click update, it will register to store locally everything. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sekturina - did you reinstall the app or use a different OS profile on your computer since you had applied the changes on  your selective sync settings? 

If you're still having issues with this after rebooting your computer and quitting and relaunching the Dropbox desktop app, you might need to contact our support team for further assistance.

In any case, please keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lshaw22
Explorer | Level 4

Can confirm I've had the same issues and the original poster since the latest app update (202.4.5551). When going to into the sync settings it will show everything being check marked as default even though it is not syncing everything.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@lshaw22, can you also clarify the Dropbox app’s syncing status

If you open your Dropbox folder, you don’t see the folders that had been previously selectively synced/removed from the desktop app, correct?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Garrett Diagonal
New member | Level 2

People on my team experienced this too - randomly all folders were selected instead of only a select few

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Garrett Diagonal, are you also experiencing this with the latest app version (202.4.5551)? 

Are you seeing the same thing or is this not happening for everyone on your team?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cs28
Helpful | Level 5

My team and I recently started experiencing this as well. Despite syncing only a subset of the folders, reopening the setting will show them all checked. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    sekturina Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    lshaw22 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?