cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just installed the Mac upgrade from 2022 and now ALL my files are uploading.

Just installed the Mac upgrade from 2022 and now ALL my files are uploading.

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

I really regret having done this "upgrade," as all my files are in limbo. It is a terrifying feeling. Can anyone please tell me if this is normal and will end soon? 

Thank you!

31 Replies 31

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

My Word files don't exist anymore on my computer and all my files in Dropbox say they are uploading. Yesterday I did many edits on a file. Today, the latest version I see is from a month ago. I am feeling desperate and can't wait the whole weekend to speak to someone. Can anyone help, please?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mirasol, let's see what we can find about this! 

Am I correct to understand that you recently updated your device's OS? 

You mentioned that your app is syncing. Would you mind clarifying the app's current syncing status

Do you notice any progress in this status? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan, thank you for replying.

No, I didn't update my OS recently. What I did was click on a message from Dropbox that I'd received months earlier saying that an updated version for Mac was ready. I had ignored it for months, but decided to do it last week. That's when the mess happened. 

The current status is "indexing." It has said that since I updated last Thursday or Friday (can't remember which day). Now when I look at my Dropbox files in the Finder, I see a cloud next to each file, which never was the case before. They were all resident on my computer. Some of the cloud icons have an exclamation point inside. I guess that means there are conflicting versions? I no longer have access to the files I had worked on last week -- they say that the latest version is from May.

Thank you for your help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mirasol, thanks for the additional info and sorry to hear that.

What is your exact OS version? If you haven't already, we recommend updating your Mac to macOS 13.3 to help with this issue.

The cloud icon with the exclamation point inside it means that your file or folder can’t update or sync.

If you take a look at your account on dropbox.com, do you see the current versions of your files or the old ones, like on your computer?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah,

I am running OS 13.6.7.

When I look on the Dropbox site, I see a May version of a file that I had been working on recently. Same as I am seeing in my Finder. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking, @Mirasol.

This could mean that the changes you made to your files after May, never synced to your account for some reason.

It could be a connection issue, or something else, but this isn't caused by the update; it sounds like the update just jump-started the app and made it sync with your account online, because whatever you see in your account online, is what's actually synced to your account and our servers.

If that's the case, there's not much we can do on our end, to help you retrieve those updates, I'm afraid.

If you take a look at this file's version history, are you able to find more recent versions perhaps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

There is no question that this was caused by the upgrade. Until then, my files were syncing perfectly, immediately. This happened right after I upgraded. 

I have a huge amount of files stored in Dropbox. At this point, I want to get them all out of there and onto my hard drive, but that seems impossible. I used to be able to move a file easily from Dropbox to my desktop. Since upgrading, the files now have an extension "webloc" instead of "docx" or whatever. I want to know how to get my files back. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

You mentioned that your files were syncing perfectly; if they were syncing, you'd be able to find them online or at least in your version history, can you check there and let me know what you find?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Mirasol
Explorer | Level 4

It shows lots of versions every day until May 30, when I left on a trip. Nothing in June, when I returned and updated my Dropbox version. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mirasol Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?