cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Resync with two computer

Resync with two computer

Myr25
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I used Dropbox with my Imac and my MacBook Pro for several years. Since june, Dropbox doesn't work any more with my Imac, as my OS (Sierra) has been rejected as too old. I'm now ready to update my OS to a newer version. During this time, I worked only on my MacBook Pro, with Dropbox synchronisation.

Before reconnecting my Imac with Dropbox, I'd like to understand how the process of sync will work. I'll have new files and folders on Dropbox : in which direction the synchronization will take place : from Dropbox to Imac (ok) or from Imac to Dropbox (not ok at all) ??

How to proceed ?

I hope anyone can help ? Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Myr25 wrote:

... in which direction the synchronization will take place : from Dropbox to Imac (ok) or from Imac to Dropbox (not ok at all) ??

With that much time having passed, don't rely on the sync process to get it right. Instead, treat the iMac like it's a new installation.

Uninstall Dropbox from the iMac and rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox.OLD. Then, after updating to a supported operating system, reinstall Dropbox and let it sync as if it's a brand new installation.

This will mean that it will download everything from Dropbox to the computer again, but it will be correct. If you tried to sync with an existing Dropbox folder that's six months out of date, there's a chance that it could delete files.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Myr25 wrote:

... in which direction the synchronization will take place : from Dropbox to Imac (ok) or from Imac to Dropbox (not ok at all) ??

With that much time having passed, don't rely on the sync process to get it right. Instead, treat the iMac like it's a new installation.

Uninstall Dropbox from the iMac and rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox.OLD. Then, after updating to a supported operating system, reinstall Dropbox and let it sync as if it's a brand new installation.

This will mean that it will download everything from Dropbox to the computer again, but it will be correct. If you tried to sync with an existing Dropbox folder that's six months out of date, there's a chance that it could delete files.

Need more support?