cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Prompt to ask to join team

Prompt to ask to join team when I'm sharing a folder with someone. Why?

EYOSSarah
Explorer | Level 4

When I share a folder with someone outside of my Dropbox team they are prompted to ask to join the team.  This causes confusion because I do not want them to join the team.  Is there away to adjust this?

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @EYOSSarah, let's see what we can find on this together! 

Can you let me know if the folder you're trying to share is a personal one, or a Team folder? 

Also, are these the steps that you follow on your end? If I were you, I'd check the Team's settings to make sure external sharing is enabled for the team. 

Can you give this one a go, and keep me updated? Thanks! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EYOSSarah
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Megan,

Thank you for your response.  The folders I share are Teams folders.  I am following those steps to share folders and the settings for sharing are correct. The only issue I'm having is that after the recipient gets the email inviting them to the folder the next screen says 'Ask to join the team' - which I do not want, I just want to share these specific folders.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EYOSSarah, sorry to jump in here. 

I'm afraid that these prompts cannot be turned off, however, do you know if the person you invited to the folder have enough space to add the folder to their account?

That's probably why they're seeing this prompt.

If they only need to view the files, you can send them a link instead, which won't affect their quota and they won't get this prompt.

And if they need to upload files to your account, you can send them a file request.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FRAMELAB
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue.  In my experience, people have the space but get very confused by it.  It is a big pain and I hope in the future, this can be an option that can be turned on and off.  If I'm simply sending someone a link to a shared folder to deliver files, I do not want them eating up a license and/or having access to all my files.  

Then it makes me look bad and unprofessional because I have to walk them through or 'prove' that they already have access by sending screen captures of their permissions on the folder itself.

MH97
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue.  My approach: I ignore it.  The people with whom I share the folder can upload files and see things and it works just fine.  I assume Dropbox is trying to maximize revenue here and have me grow my team/account.  

dwcreative13
New member | Level 2

This is such an awful and quite deceptive practice, resulting in frustrating communication with clients and wasted time in trying to understand why we are asking to be charged for another team member when that was never the intent.  Not to mention unknowingly adding team members and being charged....

Need more support?