cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I view all Dropbox files on the desktop app and have them not take up space?

How can I view all Dropbox files on the desktop app and have them not take up space?

shahaf
Explorer | Level 3

New to Dropbox

just downloaded the app, when installing it asked me to choose which Files I wanted to Sync to my pc.

I don't have a lot of storage left on my PC so I selected none.

I want to view all my dropbox files from the folder on my desktop.

the same as I do with my ONEdrive or Google Drive

these two don't take and space from my PC and I can view all the files I have there.

Thank you

Shahaf

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @shahaf, let's jump right into this! 

When you install our desktop app locally, that creates a local Dropbox folder with all of your files to the device.

That folder will naturally take up your local hard drive space. If your hard drive space is low, your option to choose which folders to sync when installing the app was the wisest.

It sounds like you used selective sync to remove these folders. You can check our relevant Help Center article, in order to see how to revert this setting and choose which folders to sync to the device.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shahaf
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Megan

but now all my files have this tiny gray x symbol next to them, that disappears only after I open a file and then I get a notification that the file has downloaded.

+ it takes a long time for images to upload to the folder (image attached)

again, just looking for the same thing I have with my ONEdrive or Google Drive, a folder on my PC that doesn't take space and I can access to my files quickly.

I found an article  that says it means there is a syncing problem
I quit and reopened Dropbox- still slow  upload and gray x

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing

shahaf
Explorer | Level 3

drop.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @shahaf. The grey X icon you’re seeing indicates indeed that there could be a syncing issue between the file on your desktop app and your online account.

If you go to www.dropbox.com, are you seeing all of your files properly?

When clicking on the small arrow in your system tray (where your clock settings are), do you see a small Dropbox icon? If yes, what’s the syncing status it reports?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shahaf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy

there is a small red x on the Dropbox icon at the tall bar and when I hover with my mouse it says "up to date"

I Do know that my dropbox is full, is that related?

Mark
Super User II

@shahaf wrote:

I Do know that my dropbox is full, is that related?

Almost certainly, yes. 

If Dropbox is full it wont sync updates/changes or new files added to the directory. So, those files with an X on it will be ones you've added to your machine BUT have not been uploaded to Dropbox because there is no space. Same for ones you have changed/edited on the machine - they wont sync the updates or changes to Dropbox. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    shahaf Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?