cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Videos appearing only in Dropbox with Jan 1st 1970 date

Photo uploads dates from iphone are off by 20+ years

Jillwb
Explorer | Level 3

I hit the dropbox backup this morning on my Iphone12 pro and the photos are backing up, but the dates are way off (January 2043/ March 2025 and February 2025), plus the photos with these dates are from 2000-2002.  Any ideas why this is happening?

25 Replies 25

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi @Walter 

Could you please clarify if this happens with a specific video file, some or all  video files that are sent to you via WhatsApp? 

All videos that are sent to me via Whatsapp by other people have a 1970 date.

Does the same thing occur if you download or export it locally to your device and upload it manually to your Dropbox account via a web browser or the (+) button within the mobile app? 

Yes.... hope the below helps

• Manually uploaded to Dropbox.com/photos the WhatsApp videos have a 1970 date.
  • When viewed using "IOS Dropbox App Photos" the WhatsApp videos have a 1970 date.
  • Viewing videos by navigating via  "Files and then Camera Uploads Folder using IOS Dropbox App" the WhatsApp videos have the correct date.
  • Exporting to Windows or other media viewers the videos have the correct date.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @NB141.

Can we reach out to you via email, so we can investigate this further?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8

@Hannah  Yes please ...thanks for the reply!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @NB141, I've just sent you an email, so we'll continue there!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

katie_p
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah - thanks very much for your reply.

I wasn't sure what you meant by manually uploading them, but here's what I've tried:

First, I removed the offending folder from Dropbox, by dragging it from the Dropbox folder to my desktop and telling Dropbox to delete it for everyone. Then I removed the metadata for some of the files, and dragged them back into the Dropbox folder - but they were still shown as being from 2037. I deleted the Dropbox cache from my PC, and I logged out of the mobile app and logged back in. None of that worked, and that's when I posted my original message. I restored the original folder to Dropbox via my web browser.

Just now, I have again removed the folder from Dropbox in the same way. Then I went through all the subfolders and deleted the metadata. Then I went to the Dropbox site through my web browser (Firefox) and uploaded the whole folder that way. (There are 2,500 items.) When I open the Dropbox mobile app, in the Photos tab, most of those photos are still shown as being from 2037. But it does seem to have worked for a few files - mainly jpegs that were altered in Photoshop, or via an app, or which were taken by someone else, or png screenshots.

There is another folder with the same problem, photos that were sent to me by someone else, and which are dated 2053. For these, I tried something else: I selected "Make available offline", then deleted the metadata for the Date taken, and waited for Dropbox to update. This didn't work: when I look in the Photos tab of the iPhone app, they are still shown in 2053, and when I select one of the pictures, it says "You have saved a new version" and gives me the option to refresh it. I do that, but it doesn't change anything - it still appears in 2053, even though the file info does show that the 2053 date has been removed. I'm pasting a screenshot below.

Is there anything else you could suggest?

Thanks in advance

Katie

2023-10-27 11.51.21.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @katie_p - sorry to jump in here, but could you confirm if the files show the right dates when you navigate to the Files tab in the mobile app and then your Camera Uploads folder?

Also, could you clarify the mobile app's version and your device's exact OS version?

Have you tried clearing the app's cache as well by the way? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?