cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed Dropbox app to do a backup but ended up with the hole dropbox on my computer

Installed Dropbox app to do a backup but ended up with the hole dropbox on my computer

saravitorina
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I just downloaded the Dropbox app in order to ser a backup for my work documents. The problem is that I think the whole work dropbox downloaded into my computer, and I don't know how. I just know that I have zero memory left and photoshop and illustrator are not opening. So I can't work. How can guarantee that my computer is only backing-up my files and not making a copy of everything on my computer. (And how do I know if the documents showing on the dropbox app folder on finder are on my computer? Can I delete them or will I be deleting my company+s dropbox documents?)

Thanks,

Sara

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @saravitorina, welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

It sounds like you downloaded the Dropbox desktop app and logged into your work account From there, the app synced your files locally to your machine, thus causing your computer to be out of hard drive space. 

Can you clarify what you'd like to accomplish here and if you also have a personal Dropbox account or if you were referring to your own Dropbox folder as a team member?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there, Sara. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

saravitorina
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am using my work computer and I logged in to dropbox using my work team member account. I downloaded the desktop app and my only goal was to create a backup of one folder, so that I can also access it online on Dropbox, in case something happens to the computer. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, you can use the website to upload that specific folder to your account and not use the desktop app at all @saravitorina 

Or maybe you'd like to use the Dropbox Backup feature

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    saravitorina Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?